PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read by dry hopping early you get more of that hazy look? I really have no idea though!
Really? I'll have to check my notes in that case - my last batch of IPA + the Chinook pale ale are both still (unintentionally!) well hazy.

So much so in fact that I re-christened the Chinook one an HPA, hazy pale ale!

The NEIPA bubbling away nicely, dry hopped with 20g Amarillo, 20g Tomahawk and 20g Cascade today with a view to another dry hop next week. Stuck it into the shed as the Hazy Yeast wants a temp range of 15-20, I can't keep it steady but it will be in that range.

I love a good NEIPA. Good luck with it!
Thanks mate, I've got my fingers crossed! And just to let you know, left that outback for 2/3 more weeks or so and it now tastes great, very floral and crisp when cold with a fantastic aroma. Perhaps it was just that little bit too early before? Even my wife likes it and that is unusual! :thumba:

2 beers brewed today, with the weather closing in I thought i'd get some beer on before my nightshift tonight...

For my 17l brew I have my Emoor Stag clone attempt.

4.6 kg Maris Otter
400g Caramunich
400g Chocolate
200g Carafa 1
200g Flaked Oats
200g Torrified Wheat

25g EKG @60
10g EKG@10
10g Bobek @10
10g Fuggles @10

Cooled to 22c pitched Mangrove Jack M36

OG1052

IBU 24.8

For my 10l brew i've given the 80 shilling a go from GH's book.

2kg Maris Otter
120g Caramunich
80g Dark Crystal
40g Carafa 1

Mashed for 60 mins at 66c.

22g Styrians @60 IBU 18

OG 1060 which seems way over what it should be?

Coooled to 22c pitched Mangrove Jack M36

Busy day for you then, blimey! I find just one brew taxing enough!

I'll be interested to know how the 80/ turns out - my impression/memory of these Scottish beers (which is probably wrong) is that they're quite sweet and heavy going. That said I've often flicked past them in the book and thought I should give them a go sometime.

GH says OG 1.052 - my guess would be is you're just getting slightly better efficiency then whatever he assumes. I suppose if you were feeling really enthusiastic/want extra homework then you could put the grain bill into Brewer's Friend or whatever and fiddle with the efficiency until you match his OG.

It did take me near enough 6 hours! :laugh8:

The wort was very sweet and felt like it had 'body' already. It was nice. Yeah I reckon possibly a bit of a better efficiency, slightly less than accurate weighing up of grain and slightly less than 10l in the FV. wink...

Saw an opportunity and took it this morning. GH's xmas ale which will hide in the garage for the next 6 months.

Had a mare with the styrian hops that I should have used later in the boil, as I took the packet out of the freezer I tipped it upside down and dropped almost the whole lot on the floor in the garage, no way I was picking that up so in a rush looked through the freezer for a substitute, mentioned in my 'yeast help' thread. At first I didn't see the Fuggles which I think would have been the closest substitute. I was going to go with Challenger and then Saaz at flameout and then spotted the Fuggles in the bottom of the box!

Going for 17l in the FV again.

3.5kg Maris Otter
400g Biscuit
280g CaraMunich 1
240g Dark Crystal
80g Carafa special 1
80g Torrified Wheat

In at 70c mashed at 65ish. Boiling for 70mins.

18g Challenger & Styrian 10g @ 60

18g Challenger @15
Protofloc tab @15

8g Star Anise @10
1 teaspoonNutmeg
1 Cinnamon Stick

400g Candied sugar @5 mins

18g Fuggles @Flameout

Cooled and Wyeast 1028 London Ale pitched at 22c (starter this time)

Hit the OG dead on at 1063, IBU 26.8.

Wort tasted sweet, really sweet with a hint of nutmeg.

Couldn't help myself and tried a bottle of this one that I brewed 10 weeks ago, put hairs on my chest. At first taste I have to admit it's a little unpleasant. After 5 sips or so the flavours come through, you can certainly taste the spices but at the moment the alcohol is a little overpowering. Try it again in a month or so I reckon!

Bottled up my neipa today. 80g of white sugar boiled in 200mls of water. 17l into 38 various size bottles and of course a half glass for me. Fg ended up at 1012 so that's a healthy 7.88%.

It looks great, like orange juice at the moment. Smells like citrus fruit and the taste is good, bitter to begin with a bit like a grapefruit, that bitterness fades to leave a sweet fruity taste. Interesting to see what it will be like once carbonated.

My laptops down at the moment otherwise I'd post a pic.

Pic of the NEIPA bottled! The hazy yeast seems to have done it's job!

thumbnail (1).jpg

Pic of the NEIPA bottled! The hazy yeast seems to have done it's job!

View attachment 20277
Good work fella! You could slap a J2O sticker on that and call it done athumb..

Now, about that bottle swap we were discussing the other week... :laugh8:

I'm sure foxbat is right about the clear bottles - I usually use almost all brown bottles but I like to include one or two clear bottles so I can see more easily how it's clearing and how the colour looks :beer1:

Good news and bad news with the NEIPA, the plastic bottle is hardening which means that it's carbing nicely, however the colour is changing.... starting to look like an orange gone bad, oh well, i'm sure it tastes nice still.

Other news, I tried a bottle of my abbey ale, I don't think I wrote this one up, same recipe as in GH's book, it's actually quite unpleasant, very dry, no sweetness at all, FG was 1010-1014 I can't remember exactly, it was on my broken phone.

Wondered if anyone had brewed this one? I followed the recipe and nothing went wrong as far as I can see so is it supposed to taste like this?

Re. the NEIPA, that's a bummer. Sorry to hear that. One thought, any reason to suspect oxidation? Any problems syphoning or bottling? That said, when I had oxidation problems early on it took weeks rather than hours to manifest itself.

Maybe try one sooner rather than later so at least your know - often I find it's the wondering rather then the knowing that's worse.

Fingers crossed, good luck mate athumb..

I think 2 reasons, it could well be oxidation, the tap and bottling tube (actually an et tube from work), aren't a sealed fit, that said I've not had a bad taste from it in any of my brews. The other is that after siphoning from from fv to bottling bucket the sediment got stirred up and its settled in bottle, there is a fair bit of deposit in the bottle.

To be honest if it tastes ok that's fine by me.

But I take it you won't want a swap now @matt76 ?athumb..

Latest posts

Back