PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black IPA brewed again today, Gh's recipe with a tweak from last time, feedback I had was that it was more brown than black so I added a smidge of roast barley. I also wanted it a touch stronger so in went a bit more pale malt. Going for 17l in the fv, came in just a little short at 16 something.

5kg pale
200g carafa 3
50g roasted barley
250g chocolate wheat

Mashed in at 64c, meant be for an hour but we went for a walk so mashed for 2 hours. Got home squeezed bag and brought to the boil, added 6l of water.

30g apollo @60
25g citra @10
35g citra @ flameout
35g amarillo @flameout

Cooled to 24c, pitched cml pale ale yeast and put in brew fridge, set at 22c.

Og 1062 ibu 72.5 ebc 57.

Brewed an experimental beer with treacle yesterday.

3kg pale
300g crystal
150g oats
100 chocolate

Mashed in at 64 for 1hr.

15g challenger @60
10g fuggles @30
5g ekg @30
10g fuggles @15
100g treacle @15

Cooled very quickly to 22c pitched cml 5.

35 ibu, of 1072, beersmith says an ebc on 37 but it's much darker than that. Taste was bitter, wow, it's going to need some conditioning but I have high hope's it'll be a beauty.

Brewed an experimental beer with treacle yesterday.
35 ibu, of 1072, beersmith says an ebc on 37 but it's much darker than that. Taste was bitter, wow, it's going to need some conditioning but I have high hope's it'll be a beauty.
Let us know how it turns out. Bought a couple of cans of Tate and Lyle treacle a while ago and promptly forgot about them.

Let us know how it turns out. Bought a couple of cans of Tate and Lyle treacle a while ago and promptly forgot about them.

As I say, i have high hopes, but it will definitely need an extended conditioning time i reckon.

I had a pint of my 'traditional' bitter with a smidge of golden syrup and amarillo hops last night, bleddy lovely, not much in the way of aroma, but theres a definite syrupy taste followed up with a hint of orange, very impressed with myself.

Dry hopped the black ipa earlier with 20g citra and 30g simcoe, looking for that lovely piney aroma from the simcoe. Forgot to take a gravity reading but it looks like most of the action has been and gone, will look to bottle perhaps on sunday morning.

Treacle, as in the black stuff otherwise known as molasses? I've pondered many a time adding a little to my attempts to clone Old Peculier. Not done it yet. I have heard that molasses is very noticeable in small amounts so I'll be watching to see what your 100g addition is like.

Pretty much the same isn't it foxbat, early days obviously but it was very noticable in the wort before I chucked it in the fv. I could though also taste the hops even through the treacle so hopefully it will condition out a bit.

Bottled up my cornish tin miners ale earlier,18x500ml bottles. 80g sugar boiled in 200mls of water for priming, 10ml in each bottle. Fg 1014 giving it an abv of 5.25%. Looks clear, tastes nice, not sure how to describe it really, but not far off a tribute I suppose? Neither hoppy nor malty but a good mix of both. Looking forward to a carbonated version, may be a toss up between this on or foxbats mainline as my house bitter. Cheers!

It never turns out that way though matt, apart from that mild I did last year which almost blew out the top, none have been particularly over the top fizzy, perhaps I'm conditioning at too low a temp?

Bottled up my black ipa, poor yield of 28x 500ml bottles, I lost about 3 litres from a blocked siphon and all the faffing that goes along with that. Looks good, darker than last time, after just finishing another set of nights I've got another cold so I cant taste anything. FG 1012 which gives it an abv of 6.5% so somewhat closer to st austells proper black which is a beer I like. :beer1:

Next tomorrow now that the big fv is empty will be a abbey ale from GH's book, it was nice last time.

I am trying to get away from using a Siphon. Pain in the backend. I have 3 fermentors with taps and one with out which is basically a blue barrel. I will only use the barrel if it's going to sit in my garage for a while when I need lower temperature.

I am trying to get away from using a Siphon. Pain in the backend. I have 3 fermentors with taps and one with out which is basically a blue barrel. I will only use the barrel if it's going to sit in my garage for a while when I need lower temperature.

You're not wrong, I may have to invest in an fv with a tap.

Bottled up my black ipa, poor yield of 28x 500ml bottles, I lost about 3 litres from a blocked siphon and all the faffing that goes along with that. Looks good, darker than last time, after just finishing another set of nights I've got another cold so I cant taste anything. FG 1012 which gives it an abv of 6.5% so somewhat closer to st austells proper black which is a beer I like. :beer1:

Next tomorrow now that the big fv is empty will be a abbey ale from GH's book, it was nice last time.
How did it get blocked, was it bits of hop from the dry hop?

Will bottle my BIPA in the next few days, I'll try to remember to take some photos of my setup, seems really good for preventing this problem.

How did it get blocked, was it bits of hop from the dry hop?

Will bottle my BIPA in the next few days, I'll try to remember to take some photos of my setup, seems really good for preventing this problem.

Sort of, I couldnt get the bag out so I tried to siphon out with bag in, then bag blocked siphon so got bag out but it opened, bits of hops coupled with disturbed trub got everywhere, bit of a balls up really. :confused.:

Dont ask why I couldn't get the bag out first time, I was just being a dick and trying to fish it out like a 10lb trout.

I got two northern brewer fv that were cheap as chips. They don't even have a hole for an airlock. Really handy, I recently invest in a 30 litre speidel one. The tap on it is really poor

That's interesting I was looking at the speidel ones as the top looks big enough to get in there when you clean it.

I got two northern brewer fv that were cheap as chips. They don't even have a hole for an airlock. Really handy, I recently invest in a 30 litre speidel one. The tap on it is really poor
You surprise me. I've got a few bits and pieces of Spiedel and the taps are ok. Trouble is nothing else fits them and they dont fir anything else, even the airlocks.

Latest posts

Back