PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read it's quite a hard one to get it spot on. I think I lucked out to some extent when I made it last year, the current one I'm not totally happy with either so already contemplating having another go.

What yeast did you use by the way? It could just be a combination of high mash temp and a strain that doesn't attenuate so much.

Fairly sure it was Bavarian lager yeast.

Two more thoughts:
Higher OG trends to mean a slightly higher FG.

Could be related to all that Munich malt. Podcast I was listening to the other day was saying normal Munich/Munich 1 has enough diastatic power to convert itself, though not quite as well as Pilsner/lager malt or Maris Otter, Golden Promise etc. So I reckon that would also give you a slightly higher FG.

(Dark Munich/Munich 2 doesn't and needs to be mashed with a base malt)

Two more thoughts:
Higher OG trends to mean a slightly higher FG.

Could be related to all that Munich malt. Podcast I was listening to the other day was saying normal Munich/Munich 1 has enough diastatic power to convert itself, though not quite as well as Pilsner/lager malt or Maris Otter, Golden Promise etc. So I reckon that would also give you a slightly higher FG.

(Dark Munich/Munich 2 doesn't and needs to be mashed with a base malt)

Interesting, what was the podcast?

First brew for awhile, just got the mash on now for a pale ale.

5kg otter
200g vienna
50g biscuit
200g wheat

Just experimenting with the wheat to see if I get a better head than my last pale with this malt bill.

Plan to bitter with 20g magnum and finish with 15g of first gold and cascade.

Aiming for 20l in the fv, started with 15l in the klarstein, plan to sparge (loosely) with 10l and pop that back in the boiler for an hour.

Had a pint of my simcoe and first gold pale yesterday, as I said earlier no head on it at all which was really disappointing, tasted nice, quite orangey the simcoe didnt really come through though.

Wow, a smaller grain bill than the last couple of brews and the efficiency is way up, ended with 1060 og. Tastes wonderful, first time with cascade and there is a definite spiciness to it, shiny of orange from the first gold. To dry hop or not to dry hop that is the question.

How's your NEIPA looking now? I was looking back at your recipe for this - I've got a packet of mosaic to play with (among many others actually), initial thought was to do another session IPA but now I'm leaning towards something NEIPA-ish for the sake of variety (plus I've never tried to make one before).

Re. head retention, I tried flaked barley for ages as standard - but having stopped using it i really don't notice a difference (except my efficiency is higher - i think it soaks up too much wort!). But I know others swear by it. At the moment I'm experimenting with Carapils for head retention - my hoppy beers are fine but lagers etc could use some help.

And as far as efficiency goes, for my last couple of brews I've been back down to 2.5kg and my efficiency is up - i think there's two reasons for this: one is i can just squeeze the grain bag much better; the other is I've taken to giving the mash a thorough stir every 15mins and also recirculating by raising the grain basket and also using a jug.

How's your NEIPA looking now? I was looking back at your recipe for this - I've got a packet of mosaic to play with (among many others actually), initial thought was to do another session IPA but now I'm leaning towards something NEIPA-ish for the sake of variety (plus I've never tried to make one before).

Re. head retention, I tried flaked barley for ages as standard - but having stopped using it i really don't notice a difference (except my efficiency is higher - i think it soaks up too much wort!). But I know others swear by it. At the moment I'm experimenting with Carapils for head retention - my hoppy beers are fine but lagers etc could use some help.

And as far as efficiency goes, for my last couple of brews I've been back down to 2.5kg and my efficiency is up - i think there's two reasons for this: one is i can just squeeze the grain bag much better; the other is I've taken to giving the mash a thorough stir every 15mins and also recirculating by raising the grain basket and also using a jug.
20200712_173911.jpg

Looking pretty decent matt, I had a sneaky pint last week, bit rough round the edges still but another week or two should be good.

Yeah I have flaked barley but I read that some people dont use it in pales as they think it adds unwanted flavour. I'll try it next time.

View attachment 29199

Looking pretty decent matt, I had a sneaky pint last week, bit rough round the edges still but another week or two should be good.

Yeah I have flaked barley but I read that some people dont use it in pales as they think it adds unwanted flavour. I'll try it next time.
How long do you condition your beer before trying. That looks a nice colour 👌

How long do you condition your beer before trying. That looks a nice colour 👌

Depends, I think I've found that nearly all of the beer improves with time, up to a point. Bottled it on the 10th june so I reckon 2 more weeks till it's ready. I did a pale ale awhile ago which was dreadful after 6 weeks, flavourless, gave it 2-3 more weeks and it was lovely, the motueka really came through.

Good brew day today, managed to fit it in around childcare, grandparent visits and general domestic duties.

3.75 kg otter
350g crystal
80g choc (for colour)

Mashed in at 70c and set temp for 65c. 15l in the mash, mashed for 60 mins then sparged with 10l of warm water, poured that back in the klarstein and added 2 more litres of boiling water. Boiled for 50 mins (school run).

20g northern brewer @60
30g n brewer @30
30g n brewer @45

Cooled and left for 2 hours. Got 18l in the fv, could have got more but it was awfully trubby today so I left it in the boiler.

Pitched cml cali common at 19c but have set the fridge at 17c. OG on the mark at 1052.

It's a little darker than I would have expected at the mo, however once all the bits settle I suspect it will lighten up a bit. Beersmith says 22.9 ebc.

Taste wise, a standard hoppy bitterness at the moment, nothing to write home about yet.

My version of a cali common matt. 'Wheal Rose Steam Beer'.
Ohhh ok... For some reason is always assumed Cali Common was basically a lager but after a quick Google and a flick through the books it's obviously not :laugh8:

Hmm... Very interesting though [he says, while pondering what to do with a load of excess crystal malt and Northern Brewer hops... ;)]

I always thought that too to be fair. It is fermented at the lower end of a ale yeast too to get that crisper taste, according to the yeast packet. Never tried northern brewer.

Ever used jester hops? I had a random extra pack of hops in my box from cross my loof. 😁

I always thought that too to be fair. It is fermented at the lower end of a ale yeast too to get that crisper taste, according to the yeast packet. Never tried northern brewer.

Ever used jester hops? I had a random extra pack of hops in my box from cross my loof. 😁
Jester - nope, never used it. Hopslist.com I guess, or just email CML and ask them for suggestions!

NB I used in either my Red or Rye IPA I think, which is why I have some left over.

I think it's supposed to be a bit woody, whatever that means! And similar to Northdown I believe, which I use in my porters but not in a way that gives much hoppiness so can't really describe that either! :laugh8:

My feeling with a lot of these hops is that they're mostly quite subtle, except there's just a few, the big name hops we all use in our IPAs, that scream big flavour.

It's unfortunate that while it's easy to split a batch and compare 2-3 yeasts, it's much harder to do back to back comparisons with hops to get a really good idea how they taste (though Basic Brewing Radio have tried with the hop sampler series)

Bottled up my cascade and first gold apa this evening, took awhile....

36x 500ml bottles, 100g sugar boiled in 200ml sugar, 5ml per bottle. Fg of 1009 or so giving it a much too pokey 6.8% abv, far from the session apa i was going for. Still... taste wise, nice definitely got the orangey first gold, and looks at the moment ok, a bit cloudy but should clear in time.

Got an overnight mash on at the mo, trying out @foxbat Fuggle Duck, pretty much the same mash bill with a little tweak here and there. I had no medium crystal and increased the choc malt a touch for colour, i'm also aiming for it to be a little bit stronger so brewing shorter and going for 19-20l in the FV.

3.02 kg Otter
0.84 kg Munich Malt
0.17 kg Barley, Flaked
0.17 kg light Crystal Medium
0.07 kg Chocolate Malt

Mash in at 72, temp set at 68c.

I'll be interested to know what this does for your efficiency.

I tried a "set it and forget it" mash recently (though not overnight) and found the efficiency wasn't great.

Instead for me I found it's much better if I mash for 60mins and regularly stir and recirculate the mash ever 15 mins. Mind you, that's for a puny 2.5kg /15L mash ;)

Latest posts

Back