PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds rea
Another late finish another overnight mash. This time a 10l brew, pumpkin ale! Well, butternut squash anyway.

1.75kg otter
800g munich
400 biscuit
200 caramunich

I'm not sure about the last 2 because beersmith didnt save my recipe but it was roughly as so.

Mashed overnight at 68c

This morning I quartered a butternut squash and covered it liberally with brown sugar, roast at 180c for 90mins.

Brought the wort to the boil, added 110g brown sugar, the squash in a bag and 8g northdown hops. Protofloc at 45mins, at 5 mins 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.

Og of 1064, wort tasted very sweet, a different taste which I presume to be squash and of cinnamon. Brought down to 22c and pitched Windsor.

Cant wait to try this one, something different anyway!
This sounds really interesting 👌

Bottled up my 'fuggle duck' 34 x 500ml bottles, 80g sugar boiled up in 200mls 5mls in each bottle.

Really high hopes for this one, it's a very tasty traditional bitter of the type you dont get much of anymore. Fg of 1010 giving it an abv of 5.25%.

Tastes a bit like an otter, not the animal.... It might even surpass your mainline bitter @foxbat !

Honestly could have had a pint out of the fv it was that nice

Bottled up my 'fuggle duck' 34 x 500ml bottles, 80g sugar boiled up in 200mls 5mls in each bottle.

Really high hopes for this one, it's a very tasty traditional bitter of the type you dont get much of anymore. Fg of 1010 giving it an abv of 5.25%.

Tastes a bit like an otter, not the animal.... It might even surpass your mainline bitter @foxbat !

Honestly could have had a pint out of the fv it was that nice
Sounds like it'll be a good strong ale, I might copy your recipe back myself at Christmas when I'd enjoy something about that strength.

Had a pint of my cornish pale, bittered with magnum, late hopped with simcoe and first gold, its young, but nice. Decent head which lasts a fair while and well carbed I think. Not much of an aroma but orangey and piney, I'm not sure they go together but its definitely drinkable and more.

Brewed up GH's Christmas Ale today.

Pretty much followed the recipe

3.5kg pale
400g biscuit
280g Caramunich
240g Dark Crystal
80g Carafa
80g Torrifed Wheat
100g Carapils

In at 74, mashed at 70 17l water

Sparged in 8l

24g Styrian @60
20g Styrian @15
4 star anise @10
2 Cinnamon Sticks@10
1 teaspoon nutmeg @10

400g dark candied sugar @5

20g Styrian at flameout

Cooled and added Lallemand Windsor at 22c. Around 19l in the FV.

OG was down at 1054, I haven't tapped that into beersmith but I struggle to believe it to be honest, i'm going to check my hydrometer later. That said though the wort tasted very nice so if the OG is to be believed it'll be a high 5% beer which is fine.

Random question for you:

How have you found CML "Five" in terms of it sticking to the bottom of the bottle when you pour it?

(Apparently you used it in your treacle beer - I used it in my Rye IPA I made around the same time but I don't have any left and didn't particularly take note)

One would assume it's the same strain as US-05 which is notoriously not-sticky, but there's a suggestion that actually CML "Five" is much better at sticking to the bottom of the bottle.

Random question for you:

How have you found CML "Five" in terms of it sticking to the bottom of the bottle when you pour it?

(Apparently you used it in your treacle beer - I used it in my Rye IPA I made around the same time but I don't have any left and didn't particularly take note)

One would assume it's the same strain as US-05 which is notoriously not-sticky, but there's a suggestion that actually CML "Five" is much better at sticking to the bottom of the bottle.

Hmmm I'm not sure mate to be honest, it's not something I've really looked at. However that said anecdotally I've heard that cml 5 is stickier yes.

Busy night of bottling has just come to an end.

Firstly the good, my 3 c's ipa, 80g sugar boiled in 200ml water, 5ml per bottle. 36x 500ml bottles. Tastes awesome, not blow your head off bitter but seems about right. Fg of 1012 giving it a meaty 6.3% abv. It's a bit hazy but hopefully should clear.

Now the bad, pumpkin ale, 40mg sugar boiled in 100ml water 5ml per bottle. Tastes pretty rank... very sweet, not much spice yet, it's not good so far. Looks just right though a nice reddy brown.

Another concern is that its finished on 1024, not sure if it stuck or what. It went off like a rocket as it blew the top off when the airlock blocked so the yeast definitely did something. The fg means that it will end up at 5.25%. Somethng reasonably strong to throw down the drain then.....

Well that's good news about the IPA at least.

Shame about the pumpkin ale though - I guess since you've bottled it let it condition and see what happens, just in case?

That said, if it's no good I'd be inclined to dump it, learn from it, or it being you and move on - I always find it hard to actually pour it away but I guess no sense trying to kid ones self.

But the IPA is good - yay!

Hey @pilgrimhudd - do you recall the dry hop timings and amounts for that rather splendid NEIPA you made earlier this year?

ISTR you saying that you added some hops roughly on Day 2 of fermentation (but didn't bother to remove them), and then dry hopped again at the end of fermentation???

I think I have a fairly good handle how much to add at the end of fermentation, but not sure how much to add near the start.

Hey @pilgrimhudd - do you recall the dry hop timings and amounts for that rather splendid NEIPA you made earlier this year?

ISTR you saying that you added some hops roughly on Day 2 of fermentation (but didn't bother to remove them), and then dry hopped again at the end of fermentation???

I think I have a fairly good handle how much to add at the end of fermentation, but not sure how much to add near the start.

Hi Matt, I added 80g of a mixture of Tomahawk, Amarillo and Centennial on day 2 or maybe 3 as I think it started a bit slower than last time, at high Krausen anyway and left it in. The 2nd dry hop was 3 days before bottling, I didn't check gravity, I left it in the fv for 2 weeks at and thats it (very scientific). The 2nd dry hop was 100g of those hops and some citra.

Hi Matt, I added 80g of a mixture of Tomahawk, Amarillo and Centennial on day 2 or maybe 3 as I think it started a bit slower than last time, at high Krausen anyway and left it in. The 2nd dry hop was 3 days before bottling, I didn't check gravity, I left it in the fv for 2 weeks at and thats it (very scientific). The 2nd dry hop was 100g of those hops and some citra.
Thanks dude. Looks like I might need to up the first hop addition a bit.

And now if you'll excuse me I need to go place an order from CML on a totally unrelated matter :laugh8:

So I intend on brewing this today, this is my slightly tweaked cock up brew from last November ish, cock up as I unintentionally brewed it at 2x the strength it was meant to be, that said it was bleddy lovely so I'm doing it again. It conforms to no real style, but I suppose with the belgian yeast and european malt bill its around there somewhere.

I've added some carapils and wheat for head retention and the dark candi sugar. I wont be using the brown sugar.

I am looking to do this around looking after the little people so I'm going to get it mashing sometime this avo.

Screenshot_20200901-073922.jpg

Always helps to attach pic.

Back