PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a smooth bottling session finished.

After nearly 4 weeks in the FV I decided (she decided) that enough was enough and they had to go, fair enough.....

Initially boiled up 80g sugar in 200ml, 5ml in each bottle.

The Rum and Raisin one finished up at 1016 giving it an abv of 6.5% but plus the .5% from the rum making it 7%. Looks marvellous, jet black, quite a thick consistency. Taste, well not unpleasant but not exactly pleasant either, a bitter stout leading to fruitiness leading to rum burn, think this one will need some conditioning. Perhaps 5 years or so..... 15 500ml bottles and one 330ml.

The Fig finished at 1020 making it a sessionable 6%. Again a similar look and consistency to the Rum and Raisin unsurprisingly but the taste is a whole lot different, smooth, sweet perhaps a little of the toastiness from the roast figs, good enough to drink already almost, chuffed with this one and i'm surprised because I really didn't think it would come to much. 16 500ml bottles of this one.

Another tuesday another brewday. This time my 'broadside clone'.

3.2kg pale
850g dark munich
170g dark crystal
150g choc malt
170g flaked barley

Mashed in at 72, mashed at 68c for roughly 2 hours.

Bit right for time after going to the park and having to pick up the bigger of the little ones from school so tried a 30 minute boil.

15g first gold at 30
10g first gold at 15
25g first gold at 5

I've got around 19l at 1056, so a few points lower than the 1060 ish I was hoping for.

My only concern is that I think a fly dropped in the fv just after I finished transferring from the kettle....🤢

Another tuesday another brewday. This time my 'broadside clone'.

3.2kg pale
850g dark munich
170g dark crystal
150g choc malt
170g flaked barley

Mashed in at 72, mashed at 68c for roughly 2 hours.

Bit right for time after going to the park and having to pick up the bigger of the little ones from school so tried a 30 minute boil.

15g first gold at 30
10g first gold at 15
25g first gold at 5

I've got around 19l at 1056, so a few points lower than the 1060 ish I was hoping for.

My only concern is that I think a fly dropped in the fv just after I finished transferring from the kettle....🤢
A bit like my uncle fell into a large FV and drowned 😢
Got out three times for a ****.😂😂

Nice one, I do like Broadside 👍

My only concern is that I think a fly dropped in the fv just after I finished transferring from the kettle
So no longer vegan/veggie friendly then 😉

What prompted the 30min boil? I've been doing this for the last year and had no issues whatsoever. I guess you just need to know for recipe planning what your boil off is, though it's assume it's simply half what you get from 60mins (I seem to get about 2L boil off in 30mins though I don't really measure it directly)

Bloody thing.

Just time really, got back late from the park and had to fit in the boil before picking up the eldest. I know you do it so I tapped in the times into beersmith to work out the ibu situation and went for it. As you say, less boil off but I had intentionally brewed it slightly shorter anyway.

Bottled up my 'Bokkoe' last night, 18 litres into various sized bottles. 90g sugar boiled into 200ml water, 5ml in each bottle.

FG 1008 giving it 5.5% abv. A very dark brown colour, mild spicy aroma but a little tasteless which was disappointing considering how nice it was out of the kettle, still it's very early days and i'm sure it'll improve, I still marvel at how much beer changes in character over time.

I had one of my Weizenbocks last night, 2 weeks ago it was all clove, last night all banana, weird.

Had a morning sans kids and wife so I started early.

4.3 kg pale
300g abbey
300g carapils

Mashed at 66c for a couple of hours while I went out on the bodyboard.

Got back mash out, boil on.

25g magnum @60
20g cascade @ 10
20g simcoe @ 10
20g amarillo @5

Beersmith says it'll be around 5 % and 60ibu.

Had a morning sans kids and wife so I started early.

4.3 kg pale
300g abbey
300g carapils

Mashed at 66c for a couple of hours while I went out on the bodyboard.

Got back mash out, boil on.

25g magnum @60
20g cascade @ 10
20g simcoe @ 10
20g amarillo @5

Beersmith says it'll be around 5 % and 60ibu.
Is this the one your going to use T58

Safely in the brew fridge set to 20c. Currently at 23c but i've pitched the T-58 anyway, plan to dry hop with amarillo and cascade in a week or so. OG 1048 so a little bit short of what I was looking for but thats ok.

I suppose so, I just wanted to see if the spiciness though quite mild flavoured t58 added anything. It was a toss up between just using saaz and hallertau and trying to make some kind of pseudo european light ale and this. I think it'll be similar to my 3 c's ipa though.

Bottled up my broadside clone which I'm calling 'flyswatter'.

85g sugar boiled in 200mls water, 5 mls each bottle, 34x 500ml bottles.

Fg 1012 making it 5.8%.

Looks about right, is quite dark like a broadside, but not much of that first gold hoppiness yet, sweet, could be good but we'll see. No sign of mr bluebottle.

Bottled up my broadside clone which I'm calling 'flyswatter'.

85g sugar boiled in 200mls water, 5 mls each bottle, 34x 500ml bottles.

Fg 1012 making it 5.8%.

Looks about right, is quite dark like a broadside, but not much of that first gold hoppiness yet, sweet, could be good but we'll see. No sign of mr bluebottle.
I just ordered 100g first gold to brew some sort of English ale. What are they like I was going to pair them with EKG

Latest posts

Back