Pils Changing colour over time?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardStorm

Reaction score
Hi folks,

We brewed a SMASH Pils back in March but have only just had a chance to meet up to drink it (from keg).

It's noticeably changed colour to a slightly pinkish ting, from a brilliant gold colour when transfering from primary to secondary.

Does anyone know any reasons why this might happen?

(The beer itself is great, no noticeable off flavours. It's been in a cellar so can't be light. It's definitely not the keg or lines)

Hi folks,

We brewed a SMASH Pils back in March but have only just had a chance to meet up to drink it (from keg).

It's noticeably changed colour to a slightly pinkish ting, from a brilliant gold colour when transfering from primary to secondary.

Does anyone know any reasons why this might happen?

(The beer itself is great, no noticeable off flavours. It's been in a cellar so can't be light. It's definitely not the keg or lines)
Change of colour could be oxidisation. Normally that would mean it gets darker , not sure about pinkish. What do you mean you mean transferring from primary to secondary? Was this when you packaged into the keg in March? Or you recently moved from primary to secondary?

Change of colour could be oxidisation. Normally that would mean it gets darker , not sure about pinkish. What do you mean you mean transferring from primary to secondary? Was this when you packaged into the keg in March? Or you recently moved from primary to secondary?

Cheers for the reply!
We transferred from primary to secondary in march, and it was golden then. It's been in the secondary since then until we kegged a week ago.

It could be a little bit of oxidisation, but it doesn't taste biscuity or cardboardy

I've certainly had a change of colour in light lagers before to a more golden ale type colour and didn't notice any particular off flavours myself. Pink tinge sounds odd though.

I've heard of NEIPAs taking on a purple hint when they begin to oxidise, never seen it in a pilsner though.

I had a very similar problem with a few batches a couple of years back when I used to bottle in plastic screw cap bottles. After a couple of months in the bottle they would pour out with a murky pink colour. I presumed it was a problem with cleaning / oxidisation and so moved over to glass and capping. Not had the problem since...

... Not really sure this has helped..

Interesting, thanks folks!
It's going down very well! Here's a picture, slightly pink right?

Attachments

• 16029717200463306708082065891953.jpg
    16029717200463306708082065891953.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 55
I had that happen with a hefeweizen I brewed a couple years back. I think it was because I splashed it around a lot at bottling time. My thought is oxidized as well

Latest posts

Back