Pilsner SMASH Mandarina Bavaria

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remi Gee

Reaction score
Style : Pilsner
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20,00 l
Boil Size: 28,00 l
Boil Time: 80 min

Equipment: moded klarstein beerfest (recirculating pump + GF style grainbasket)

Ingredients :

5,00kg Weyermann Pilsner Malz
0,30kg Barley, Flaked
20gr Mandarina Bavaria - First Wort 80,0 min
20gr Mandarina Bavaria - Boil 20,0 min
Irish Moss (Boil 10,0 mins) Fining
60gr Manarina Bavaria - Boil 05,0 min
SafLager (DCL Yeast #S-23)

Original Gravity: 1,053
Final Gravity: 1,008

Alcohol by Vol: 5,9 %

Mash temp : 67 deg for 60 minutes
Mashout : 78 deg for 10 minutes
Boiling : 80 minutes

Primary fermentation : 1 week at 18 deg Celsius
2 days diacethyl rest at 20deg Celsius
Secondary fermentation : 3 weeks at 12 deg Celsius

Bottling : 6g/l sugar
1 week at 19 deg ensures a good carbonating
3 weeks lagering at 12 deg Celsius

This SMASH (single malt and single hop) Pilsner recipe is one of my favorites ! I brew this type of beers all winter long, due to the low temperatures I have in my cave/cellar .

It is important to leave the beer stay cool for a long fermentation, the best thing to do is just to "forget" the fermentation vessel in the cellar at 12°C for a good month.
The S23 yeast is slower to work but the result is just amazing : a clear and crisp beer
The citrus aromas of the Mandarina hop blends perfectly with the sweetness, the fresh and malty side of this beer.

Here you have some photos of the brew and the final « product »

Rémi.

Last edited:
My first thought was "Is it still a SMASH with malt and flaked barley?" :?:

I guess it is as the term SMASH doesn't stop adjuncts from being added so I may add some flaked oats to my next SMASH to (hopefully) get a better head retention,

Many thanks. :thumb:

Yes, I think we can tell it SMASH as long as we only use one type of hops and one type of malt in the recipe.
Oats give good results, give it a try.
I did this one many times, ît’s easy to brew and the result is always great.
abigt

Whats the anticipated IBU on that ad boy ? Must be quite high, just used a MB crop myself @9.9% AA I think...
Doing something incredibly similar with a Kolsch but using 20g in boil, 25g in a whirlpool and a dry hop with 20g and my IBU is predicted at 22...

Think it’s more in the range or above 40 ibu. (Estimated, I have to calculate it, I compare it to a similar brew I made with cascade hops @ 5,5% AA and reached a good 34 ibu.)

Well if your AA is anything like my last lot (9.9) it'ss be northwards of 60 i think...
Either way interested to know how that turns out... Love MB - Always the basis of my NEIPAs

I never tried to combine this hop with others, but I think it could be interesting. How do you use it ?

In fact this batch is a real little tangerine bomb ! Really fresh and fruity profil that combines perfectly with the roundness of the Pilsner malt and finally a strong and crisp but non invasive bitterness.
Love to drink it very cool, 7/8 degrees Celsius. (My best friend after a long hot summer day)

Tbh I like all all my beers cold & well carb'd... Personal preference...

The MB tends to come through much heavier that other hops in my opinion. My v1 below actually came out with more orange than v2 even though it was designed to have more ! I did use different yeast for it though so might brew that again with the v1 yeast...

They also seem to not come out as bitter as suggested below. My whirlpools are done at 80c after being cooled quickly so I think beersmith generates more bitterness that what is actually there... I'd put them in the 50 IBU bracket

View media item 651View media item 652

To be honest, I’m not a pro in beersmith, I either use (learn to use) Brewtarget.

I think you’re right with the 50ibu range.

The S23 yeast gives a real clean result when used in the lower temperature range. It lets the tangerine flavors shine through, as it produces very little quantities of ester.
On top of that, beers fermented/lagered with this yeast, are very clear, no trub at all, without filtering. One of my favorites.

Software is easy enough to use, as with everything it takes a little time to play with and learn... They all do the same thing end of the day !
Bru'n'water took me a while to figure out...

Interesting you think that low temps bring out more orange. I've always brewed higher in the temp range to bring out more fruity esters, maybe I shall try one of these low...

I mean the fermentation temperature : safale S23 is a low fermentation yeast and therefor give a very neutral profil when you let it ferment at 12 deg C per exemple.
But it works also at higher temperatures and « colors » the brew by adding some interresting fruity esters flavors.
I have just bottled such a « Pilsner », dryhoped with cascade, fermented 1+3 weeks at 18/21 deg C and then put at 5 deg C in my « brew fridge »
Back from holidays this week end, I can’t wait to try one !

Back