Pilsner Urquell clone - not enough diastic power in recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something must be wrong with the ingredients database, or maybe you picked the wrong ingredient because there's way more than enough diastatic power in the pilsner malt alone to convert all the other ingredients even if they didn't have enough power of their own (which they do).

Wait - think I see it - simpsons finest lager malt, it has 0 diastic power, I assume thats incorrect?

Yeah, some of the malts don't yet have their diastatic power listed properly yet.

Interestingly, Pilsner Urquell used to be one of my favourite beers. I bought a couple of 33s last week and ended up throwing half of it away. Not the beer it used to be, by any means, in fact it's undrinkable so I'll be working on a clone of my own this winter.

Never made it at the weekend as I discovered on Saturday morning that the Brewstore in Edinburgh is now only open Mon - Fri! On the plus side, I ended up ordering a Grainfather that arrives tomorrow along with the grains for this recipe!

Interestingly, Pilsner Urquell used to be one of my favourite beers. I bought a couple of 33s last week and ended up throwing half of it away. Not the beer it used to be, by any means, in fact it's undrinkable so I'll be working on a clone of my own this winter.
I think I mentioned this before on another thread but the draft Pilsner over here in Czech Republic is still very very good. I missed it for so long on draft and its still my #1 preferred pilsner bar none (when on draft, I don't like spending more than twice as much for a bottle than any other decent Czech pils :-) )

just as tip for maltiness aspect, when I brew my pilsner I add about 4% melanoidin to the grain bill (90% pilsner, 6% carapils) to cheat on the diacetyl rest. It seems to work pretty well for me.

One more thing - as I have a grainfather now and will be using it for the first time on Saturday, should I do a step mash for this beer?

going to mash at 63 then 71 for 30mins each, unless somebody advises otherwise

For my Brohemian Pilsner Recipe I do 62°c for 30 minutes, 68°C for 30 minutes and mash out at 75°c for 10 minutes.

Someone will no-doubt pop on and say it's unnecessary with today's highly modified malts yadda yadda yadda, but as I have a Grainfather, the patience and the ability to do step mashes, I do them because they make me feel all right and proper. Also, I've had good results.

That said you need to get the crush right and I pause the timer and resume it only when the temperature has been reached.

I'd highly recommend watching all of the David Heath Tips videos for Grainfather, he's by far the most informative brewer on YouTube when it comes to the Grainfather. He's also really kind when people ask him questions (He's no doubt answered a million times before).

Greg Hughs' Czech Pilsner is a SMASH - just pilsner malt plus saaz hops. It was very nice when I brewed it and considerably better than the canned Pilsner Urquell I bought for comparison.

According to those people, in the know Pilsner Urquell is best from the tanks unfiltered and unpasturised. Also far lovelier in it's local region. The canned stuff we get in the supermarkets over here is pasteurised. That said I still think the supermarket Urquell is pretty distinctive against the other standard lagers (Heineken, Carling, Carlsberg etc,).

Latest posts

Back