Pimped Christmas John Bull Cider kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer
Reaction score
While waiting for my second child to be born, decided to do a John Bull cider kit to pass the time LOL

Batch Size: 22.5 Litres

1 x Can 1.75kg
500g Brewing sugar
1L Lidl naturis raspberry & cranberry juice (no added sugar, so contains Sucralose)
4.5 L Lidl naturis Apple juice (no added sugar, so contains sucralose)
5L Tesco everyday value apple juice
50g Christmas mixed spice (to be added at about 10 days)
1 x Kit yeast & Nutrient
1 Large cup of Decaf tea (2 tea bags)
5 x 2L Tesco everyday value water

OG = 1038

Pitching Temp = 17.6C

Used 2L of water and heated to 70C and then dissolved brewing sugar. Used 0.5L of boiled water to wash can out. Brewed the tea for about 15 minutes before adding to everything in the FV. Whipped up and added nutrient and yeast. Brew fridge set to 20C. Will probably use some boiled water to soak the Christmas spice prior to adding.

Been a while since I was on here, but have three brews which have had about 3 months in the bottle, so are more than ripe for drinking.

No shortage of fizz (also did some without priming), the smell once you crack the top is amazing - Full on Christmas spice! I cracked one early and it definitely had a 'sweetener' after taste, so was a little worried. But as usually after some time in the bottle, its bloody lovely. About a medium taste, lovely apple flavour with the aroma of spices. Cannot fault it really, as good as any commercial or so called craft cider.

Big thumbs up, I think adding the extra juice really helped this single can kit. Very happy!

Back