pimping a kit to make a NEIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo851

Reaction score
Hi, anyone have any ideas of how to pimp a liquid kit to make a NEIPA, could I just do an IPA and add hops like Citra Mosaic and Galaxy to it?

Not done one of these but I found this article which is quite useful.
https://homebrewanswers.com/new-england-ipa-recipe/
You could find a kit with a highish IBU like the Coopers Bootmaker which not too dark to use as a basis if you want to use a one can.
I would not add any more hops for bittering but you could use the flame out and dry hop schedule in the article.
As far as the cloudy nature of the beer, its uncharted territory for me. Just dumping loads of oats and torrified wheat without some form of partial mash or just after a steep might give you all sorts of starchy problems, so personally I would just not bother or be very very sparing. Others may have better ideas
As for yeast the article makes some suggestions including US-05.
Finally I also found this too
https://byo.com/article/neipa-style-profile/
Hope this is useful

Not done one of these but I found this article which is quite useful.
https://homebrewanswers.com/new-england-ipa-recipe/
You could find a kit with a highish IBU like the Coopers Bootmaker which not too dark to use as a basis if you want to use a one can.
I would not add any more hops for bittering but you could use the flame out and dry hop schedule in the article.
As far as the cloudy nature of the beer, its uncharted territory for me. Just dumping loads of oats and torrified wheat without some form of partial mash or just after a steep might give you all sorts of starchy problems, so personally I would just not bother or be very very sparing. Others may have better ideas
As for yeast the article makes some suggestions including US-05.
Finally I also found this too
https://byo.com/article/neipa-style-profile/
Hope this is useful

thanks, very useful. taken from that article

a New England IPA is basically an American IPA that features an intense, mostly tropical fruit, hop aroma and flavor, is heavily dry hopped to the point of being hazy, and that has a fuller body, smoother flavor, and less perceived bitterness than other popular IPA examples.

This beer style is hop-driven, but the choice of specific hop varieties and methods used to extract their best qualities is paramount to the success of the recipe. To get the tropical fruit character, you’ll have to use modern hop varieties such as Citra®, Mosaic®, GalaxyTM, Azacca®, El Dorado,

for me a NEIPA doesn't need to be too hazy so I wouldn't dump oats or anything, im thinking a standard IPA kit and dry hoping Citra , Mosaic and Galaxy. so really just looking for a very light tropical; tasting IPA kit. Ill check out the Coopers bootmaker, any other suggestions of a kit that produces a light tropical IPA?

Did anyone try the Bootmaker? I have a some ingredients for a escaping lockdown beer.
1 can of bootmaker
1 can of extra light LME
500g extra light DME
22g Lalbrew New England yeast
75-100g Citra - dryhop
75-100g mosaic - dryhop
Not sure how it’ll turn out, I hope it’s good because doing it hasn’t been the cheapest kit to assemble.

As this is just a kit brew adding oats isn’t in the horizon. It’s a bit of an experiment to see how these ingredients mix together, hoping to get somewhere near the neipa flavour. It may not work but as long as it’s got a decent taste I’ll be happy.
Just trying something different.

There's a u tube video for an NEIPA using a Coppers Australian Pale Ale can as a base.
It uses an additional mini mash, but its all stove top so not that daunting, his instructions are good and it's a good intro to this area.

Make a NEIPA using a COOPERS PALE ALE kit - YouTube

It's vey nice. I've brewed it and I'm drinking it from my keg right now.
I used Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo and Simcoe in mine.
Didn't use the Brew Enhancer but just did a 50:50 split with Dried LME and Dextrose.
I added 100g of Carapils also to mine (don't think he does this in the vid, can't remember) just to help with head retention.

I tried a bottle today and it’s lovely, her indoors tried it and I had to wrestle the glass of her. It’s still not conditioned properly but I’m delighted how it’s turned out.
One thing, because I used leaves will the hop taste disappear quicker than if I used pellets.
6988BA84-C25A-4CDE-9E19-3E94A1DA38B5.jpeg

Well done for posting your results. Glad it went well. Nice to see how things turn out after people ask for advice.

I'm giving the YouTube video recipe mentioned above a go over Xmas. First time moving away from standard kits 🤞

You could try a cheap Wilko IPA kit and brew short as a trial. That way if it doesn't turn out to your liking it wont have cost you too much.
Kit review here
Wilko hop & cheer IPA

Iv just done this very thing

wilkos ipa
Beer enhancer
USA ale yeast
100g galaxy

had a little toast at bottling and it was good

100gs of mosaic also works really well

Attachments

• DB8A2F5B-B836-4C0A-B467-2FFA2DE07527.jpeg
    DB8A2F5B-B836-4C0A-B467-2FFA2DE07527.jpeg