Pina Colada Berliner Weisse idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a second pack of Philly Sour kicking about and was thinking about a berliner syle sour and I want to try coconut additions in something relatively cheap before I try using it in something expensive and complex.

Batch Size 19L

Grain Bill
1.4kg Wheat Malt
1 KG Pilsner Malt
0.25kg Carapils

60 Min Mash @ 68c
10 Min Mashout @ 75c
60 Min Boil

Hops Additions
4g Magnum @30 mins - Bittering Addition
5g Azacca - Whirlpool Addition

Other Additions
1/2 Protofloc Tablet @ 10 Mins
1KG Frozen Pineapple - Secondary Addition
1KG Toasted Coconut - Secondary Addition
1/2 Teaspoon of Gelatin - Cold Crash Addition

Yeast
1 Pack Philly sour.

O.G 1.031
F.G: 1.005
EBC: 4.9
IBU: 8
ABV: 3.4%

Its pretty straightforward as the style goes. There is a bit of Carapils for body and head retention but otherwise its just pilsner and wheat malt. There is a small Bittering addition of Magnum halfway through the boil and a small whirlpool addition of Azacca for aroma.

I'll give it 8-10 days in primary before thawing the pineapple and toasting the coconut in the oven for 20 mins @ 110c and adding it to a clean bucket and siphoning the beer in on top and leaving another 5 days or so and then cold crashing to for 48 hours adding the gelatin after 24 hours.

Interested if anyone has any thoughts particularly on adding the coconut.

A bit more searching has found a 2016 recipe which won a gold medal. Mine isn't a million miles away, I've doubled the coconut to match the pineapple addition and I think that will do.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, a month later, sabro gives a lot of the traits of a Pina colada.

I've had some good experiences both commercial and homebrew with this stuff. Definitely gives some of that tropical creamy coconut essence.

Back