pineapple cider??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynes World

Reaction score
Hi all, from what i have been reading it looks like you can make an cider/alcoholic beverage from almost anything, some a bit :sick: by the looks of the ingredaints and some MMmmmm, now how about a Pineapple cider?

I have ben reading about the TC (turbo cider) , all it is is concerntrated apple juice with a certain amount of sugar and or yeast added.

This is what gave me the thought of a pinapple cider as SWMBO isn t always to keen on apple cider.
My thought was to try

5l of pinapple concerntrate
1tsp yeast
750grams sugar
leave to do its stuff and see how long it takes to stop frothing and then bottle with maybe a small amount of sugar to finish off.

Your comments please.

Wayne :thumb:

hello wayne :cheers:

pineapple is very acidic and i`m sure a few people on here have made wine with it - not sure how it turned out though :?
I`d say go for it - your recipe looks good and the fun of homebrew is trial and error :cool: even if its a bit funny tasting you can still drink it :lol:

good luck ;)

Thanks for the welcome mate, i was thinking about the acidic part but then if i did 2 DJ`s one with a bit more sugar added after racking it then........oh sod it its trail and error with me, what the worst that can happen.....except for a pineapple explotion in the bedroom :lol:

Looks like way too much sugar for a tc style drink that would come out as strong as a wine.......

I dont usually add any sugar to my tc's, I would think that at most you would want to add about 200g.

As for the yeast any will do the job, a cider yeast would be best though.

I tend to use an Ale yeast (SO4?) as it ends up slightly sweet(er), but its all down to your personal preference.

hobotot said:
Looks like way too much sugar for a tc style drink that would come out as strong as a wine.......

I dont usually add any sugar to my tc's, I would think that at most you would want to add about 200g.

As for the yeast any will do the job, a cider yeast would be best though.

I tend to use an Ale yeast (SO4?) as it ends up slightly sweet(er), but its all down to your personal preference.

SWMBO got the juice today and some yeast from tesco she got Fast action dried yeast, will that do the trick then ?

I was thinking after i posted the amounts and towards the 5 gallon i did which i added 1.3kg it would be to much to add 750gram so i will go with your suggestion.

Can i warm the juice a little then add the sugar and then yeast? Once feremented i plan to add a few teaspoons of suaer to the new DJ`s, is that ok to also?

thanks wayne :thumb:

i wouldn`t use that yeast as its a bread yeast - if you have a wilkos or homebrew shop pay them a visit and get some general purpose wine yeast and use that, if you`ve started your brew with the bread yeast it`ll still work so don`t worry to much :thumb:

Well thats a good job as i started it, i checked on here but nothing to my last posdt so i thought sod , what can i loose :D , just 7 quid in juice.

I will let you know in a few days how its going.

Oh whens the best time to check with the hydrometer?

My brother started his Pineapple cider today. 4 litres pineapple juice and 1 litre apple juice, he only used 100gs sugar, but he should still get 5-7%, can't remember his hydrometer reading. He also used yeast nutrient, because of the higher acidity of the juice. It got bubbling in no time and the pith went shooting through the airlock within a few hours of pitching the yeast! Kitchen table looked a bit ... interesting :shock: it's fun being a bit of a mentor to my brother, despite only starting this all myself less than a month ago!

I'll let you all know how it goes Waynes World, you'll have to let me know too.

heres my recipe forpineapple wine
2l pineapple juice(aldi)
1liter grape juice(aldi)
pectic enzyme
600grms sugar
yeast ec-1118
yeast nutrient
its ready in 5-6 weeks but needs finings to clear(i use bentonite)
and always goes down a treat,a mate at work has 5 gallons on order constantly for his wife

Morning folk, i woke this morning to something like `the frog chorus` in the bedroom, god knows how i sleep, must of been the sweet smell of pineapple :grin:

It started to bubble near as soon as i left it, i was lying there last night and i noticed it had gone quite untill i woke this morning and found it had come alive.

tn_IMG_1318.jpg

I will leave it untill tonight and replace the airlock with a new clean one.

What you suggest i add to it after the first fermention??

Looking forward to trying this, how long do these normaly take to finish, i added 175g of sugar and a tea spoon of yeast, thats it nothing else, i am not bothered about the look of it once finished, clear or not.

wayne :cheers:

Hmmm...me thinks you overfilled the DJ.

Rule of thumb is don't fill above the shoulder for the first 3 days or so (I often leave it a week), that way if you get that sort of vigorous ferment it doesn't end up all over the floor.

Oh well you live and learn :lol: , just about to go and clean it up and change the airlock, i sat it on a bin lid just incase so the messy bit is easy to sort.
Mite sifon a wee bit out while i am at it too.

I made some pineapple wine with 1L WGJ
1L Morrisons Pineapple with a twist of lime and
800g sugar
It's absolutely gorgeous- sort of sharp and sweet at the same time, like a spatlese; and VERY strong. One glass and I'm out!

I made some pineapple wine with 1L WGJ

Whats the WGJ mean mate?

I have been checked on it, cleanded up and my god the smell in the room :twisted: , gona wake up drunk :lol:

So from what i have brewed is it classed as a wine or cider? Just wondering from what folk have mentioned.

WGJ = white grape juice, adding white or red grape juice to wine or brews simular to yours adds more body to the brew. I can highly reccomend 2litres of red grape juice and 1litre of cranberry in a DJ with 800grams of sugar topped up with water and 1 tsp wine yeast - lovely rose wine at around 14%, cheap quick and easy :cool:

I`d say its more of a wine as it`ll end up around 12% plus, you could bottle it in pint bottles with a tsp of sugar which will ferment and carbonate your brew giving you a fizzy strong brew :twisted: serve with vodka and lemonade :twisted:

So when a brew gets to a certain ABV% it becomes a wine?

And from what i am brewing i am in for a good few weeks off in a few week :lol:

How long will this take to ferment then mate?

Next time i will try adding some grapes etc and see what i get. My head is going all over now with what to try next.

Waynes World said:
So when a brew gets to a certain ABV% it becomes a wine?

quote]

umm not sure if it works like that but you can call it what you like - it`s your brew :cool: i reckon a couple weeks in the dj and it`ll start to clear :thumb: Then you can bottle and drink almost immediatley - the big thing with homebrewing is to make loads and loads so you are not waiting for something to drink :nono:

i`ve around 100 bottles of wine ready for drinking and 80pints of beer (this is low numbers for the beer as i like to have around 200pints good to go :cool: )

brew on :whistle:

Latest posts

Back