pineapple cider??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
umm not sure if it works like that but you can call it what you like - it`s your brew

In that case it a cider of some sort :lol:

A few weeks :shock: i want it now, just been to check on it and its bubblying every minute so a few days yet, thing is the room it is in has cooled down a little so i think this mite slow it down a bit. As long as its ready for 2 weeks time for my jollys :thumb:

I know i shouldnt but i had to have a sip, MMmmm nice already, smells dam strong too :cool:

if you haven`t got a hydrometer its worth getting one as its easy to use and will work out the strength of your brews :cheers:

Hi kida, i have one here and tryed it on the strawberry, just trying to work out where the 1.000 is on it, i will have another look later, just bought some of the shop bought naff to get me through untill its brewed :roll:

Shouldnt i of got the reading when i first got it going and then when at 1.000 to work out the abv%

yep - for example a starting gravity of say 1090 that ferments down to 0990 gives you a hundred points, divide this by 7.46 gives you the abv, 100/7.46 = 13.4% :party:

a kg of sugar in a gallon of fruit juice has probably got a starting gravity of at least 1090 so your pineapple brew will be a winner :cool:

0990 is fermented right out - 1000 is still a little sweet - still some sugar to be turned into alcohol, in this warm weather though it can ferment in a week :D

a kg of sugar in a gallon of fruit juice has probably got a starting gravity of at least 1090 so your pineapple brew will be a winner

I only add 175g of sugar to a DJ, so what abv you make from that kida, about ?

Next ime i will take my time and do it properly, got a bit excited :roll: :roll:

Thanks for the help kida, appreciated mate ;)

as a guess around 130grams per litre of juice = 650 grams plus 175 = 825, a guess but will probaby be around 6 % ?

you could add more sugar ;)

you could add more sugar know to continue the ferment and make it stronger - when you bottle a tsp of sugar will ferment causing the fizz and will leave a small sediment in the bottom of the bottle, same in a barrel but add more sugar :thumb:

Just a thought!
It seems that nearly everthing is being called "cider", are "Grape" and "Malt" ciders next? :whistle:

Just a thought!
It seems that nearly everthing is being called "cider", are "Grape" and "Malt" ciders next?

Thats similar to what i asked earlyer somewhere, but when is cider a cider and wine a wine? As when i was making the TC with the pineapple some say its is a wine not a cider.

rickthebrew said:
you could add more sugar know to continue the ferment and make it stronger - when you bottle a tsp of sugar will ferment causing the fizz and will leave a small sediment in the bottom of the bottle, same in a barrel but add more sugar :thumb:

I will add the bit more when i bottle, dont want to disturbe it now...but hang on as i type MMmmmmm..stronger :cool:

Waynes World said:
Thats similar to what i asked earlyer somewhere
I must read post's more thoroughly, I must read post's more thoroughly, I must read post's more thoroughly, I must read post's more thoroughly. :oops:

I always thought wine was juice/fruit with water and sugar; and cider is all fruit juice, with perhaps a little sugar if you want to up the ABV%

Cider is only made from Apple juice, Perry is only made from Pear juice and Wine is only made from Grape juice.
There are a lot of very good, pleasant, Alco's made from many other things, but to my mind they are not Cider, Perry or Wine.

ericstd said:
Cider is only made from Apple juice, Perry is only made from Pear juice and Wine is only made from Grape juice.
There are a lot of very good, pleasant, Alco's made from many other things, but to my mind they are not Cider, Perry or Wine.

True but I think people like to pin a convienient label on things when explaining something.

How many people hoover the house with a dyson? ;)

ericstd said:
True, but only to a point.

wine n. 1. fermented grape juice as an alcoholic drink. 2. fermented drink resembling this made from other fruits etc. as specified (elderberry wine, ginger wine).

So “wine” can only be made from grapes unless another ingredient is specified and it seems as if the same convention is now being applied to other beverages in the style of cider but not necessarily using apples as their main ingredient.

By the same token, if I'm happy to use “wine” as a suffix, I suppose I should also accept fruit “ciders”, however much I currently dislike that appellation.

Samarith said:
How many people hoover the house with a dyson? ;)
Exactly, or google something with any other search engine. Language is constantly evolving.

Looks like i have asked `one of them questions` :lol:

As it goes then i will call my pineapple concoction what ever name i can think of and i will leave the technicalities to you chaps ;)

The brew has slowed down fermenting a lot now so look like another few days and we will see what to do next, one thing there is a goos inch of sediment on the bottom, if it carrys on there will be more sediment than brew :roll:

Ok gents, I stand corrected, but you have to admit the post got a bit of a result!
I did read somewhere that genuine Perry is only made from the juice of the Perry pear.

Latest posts

Back