Pineapple wine help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halleyelec

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have just racked off a 5l Pinapple Wine from a 25l vessel (had no demijohns spare!) into a 5l demijohn but need some advice on how to backsweeten it. It currently tastes quite bitter as you would expect for an acidic fruit (WOW recipe)

SG was 1.050 and my result now came in a 0.994 so it is currently by my calculations 9.98%!!

Im going to cold crash it to drop the yeast and the disturbed sediment for a couple of days but if someone could suggest how much to backsweeten with, I would really appreciate it! Also, does it have to be pinapple that I backsweeten with?

How about some calcium carbonate? It might be too acidic which would make it very tart. CaCO3 or precipitated chalk is instant so you could experiment on a sample. It's often used with Rhubarb wine. I've just ordered some as my flowering currant wine has a pH of 2.8 and has almost stopped fermenting.

I wouldn't have had any idea about that if you hadn't suggested it. Is it easy to get hold of or is it a case of ordering from a homebrew site? I don't think Wilkos sell that or I would have it...I have most of their tubs at the minute.

Also.....if you know. thinking of back sweetening once I stop fermentation.......if I add apple juice, does that turn it from a wine made up of pineapple juice only into a cider? I am confused by the definition between cider and wine with pineapples

Thanks for your advice on the CaCO3!

I have never back sweetened. The juice from a tin of fruit in syrup is quite sweet. but, again, test on a sample so you don't spoil the lot.

I'll have to have another look into it. I'm currently getting lost in about 30 open tabs on the internet....its not helping!

I think testing first is the way to go.

Cheers mate!

I've only made it once but the pineapple wine I made turned out quite pleasant. I used 1L of pineapple and 1L of white grape juice (in the days you could get hold of it). I always back sweeten my WOWs with a little apple juice after stabilising, typically just lobbing a bit in to fill the demijohn to the neck.

I did some reading about this for a blackcurrant wine and saw figures of 125-250g of sugar per 5 gallons, after stabilising with potassium sorbate at 0.2g per litre for a 10% wine.

Best to test separate samples but I just chucked in the lower amount and it came out well to take a little of the sharp edge off without making it taste sweet.

I ended up topping it up with some left over AJ from a Turbo cider recipe. Its reduced the ABV to 7.3% but I'm happy with that and it tastes amazing.

I have bottled 6 750ml swing tops and 3 500ml swing tops...of course one is chilling to try when it's nice and cold!

Thanks for your advice friends!

Ah in the end I just added some AJ to balance the acidity and it's not bad....unfortunately I added some stabiliser so dont think I could have carbonated it after then.

It's all a learning curve though....and an enjoyable on at that!!

Back