Pinter cask and future

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrit

Reaction score
Hi. So, I have the pinter cask and brewer, it's a 10 pint closed system. The brewing Dock seperate to allow the beer to condition, with the majority of the sediment being washed away.
I don't know if anyone is familiar with this system but there are inly a finite number of beers available as 'fresh presses' which I presume is the hops and flavours and sugar. I wonder if there was a way to expand this by making my own fresh presses?
Anyone out there currently doing this?
Thanks guys.

If you don't want to read the full thread this is part of an honest review by owner @stubrewworx which he posted in January it'll be interesting to hear if it ended up in the loft.
(link at the bottom)

Do I recommend the Pinter!?

Not really, not as the supplier intend you to use it. £15 to make 10 pints of not very good beer. You could enhance the kit with yeast, dry etc but it isn’t cost effective.

I suspect many of the Christmas recipients will soon move these into the loft once the supplied packs are consumed.

However, I do think the Pinter! has a place beyond being used with their kits. Especially for small batch brewers or test batches.

• It’s an enclosed fermenter (I live in a studio with a dog and have a fruit fly problem at the moment, which are not related to brewing so this is a plus for me).
• I think it actually looks ok and fits most places in the home.
• It ferments under pressure, so all the benefits of that.
• You can harvest yeast from the docking station.
• You could potentially use the docking station to introduce additional flavourings (hop teas, coffee/cocoa elixirs etc) after initial fermentation and dumping the yeast/trub. – I need to test if the docking station is one-way.
• You don’t need to bottle or re-keg and it fits in the fridge (side-ways for me but I do have the slimmest built-in fridge).
• You have the option to ferment without pressure. The dial allows to adjust desired carbonation but I’m unsure how effective it is.
• You can buy an additional vessel without the docking station for £35, this would allow you have a rotation of brews. One conditioning whilst other is fermenting.

Sure it has some disadvantages:

• Build quality. If the tap goes, beer is everywhere. Especially when fermenting as the tap is at the bottom. Carbonation dial feel flimsy (I read it blew off for one user, so yeast choice could be limited!).
• You can’t bottle. Well, if you ferment without pressure and the tap doesn’t aerate the beer too much, it could be a possibility?
• Once tapped, I’d say 2 days worth of drinking (which actually suits me).
• You can’t check how the fermentation is going, but a tilt / ispindel could sort that?

I have a few of my own brews planned to go in the Pinter! over the coming months, so I’ll update accordingly.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pinter-beer-system.92034/post-996857

It’s looks Like they have changed the design. New fermenter. From what I can gather it’s not compatible with the original dock which has upset some original Pinter owners.

Also are they trying to get people to sign up to a subscription model?

To be honest I think the Pinter folk have gone mad with there new offering, in some cases it costs £200 just for the machine! The new presses are around £17 or £15 if you subscribe. There are numerous tales online of the advertised abv being totally unachievable. I've also tried some of the beer and it is average at best and for the price they are charging it should be top notch. I have the original pinter and only ever brewed twice in it using their product, I got it at a very reasonable price when it 1st came out and I have to say I've always thought it was a pretty poor effort but it pushed me into proper home brew so not all bad. I now use my pinter as a keg/dispense system and it works very well for that. Cheers 🍻

Back