Pipeline Original Purple Beer Line Cleaner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cost: £15.95
Volume: 5l
Recommended Dilution: 2.5%

How to use:
Make up solution in a keg, hook it up to gas and beer line. Set regulator to dispensing pressure. Pull through solution until it changes from a greenish brownish colour to pink/purple. Leave for 5 mins. Repeat until no green/brown colour pulls through.
Discard any remaining solution and rinse keg out well, then fill with water (I added Starsan) and pull through the lines to rinse away.

My thoughts:
I am quite lazy with line care and usually flush out with Starsan Solution but I’d not used my keezer set up for a while so thought I’d give it a proper clean, plumped for this after a little bit of Googling and have used a couple of times now.
The fluid is a dark purple colour which goes to a colour of weak ribena when diluted. It has a reagent in it which turns it brown/green in the presence of sugars. It has a slight smell to it but nothing overpowering.
It’s easy to use, I cleaned out a finished keg and followed the steps described earlier. It took maybe 1-1.5l of solution for a line to run without any colour change. Time wise it took around 20 minutes per line. For flushing, I ran about 2l of sanitised water through each line afterwards with no residual taste. I’ve also used for cleaning kegs too, same dilution, rinsed out visible stuff. Slushed around a couple of litres of solution left for a bit then pushed out via a party tap, then rinsed.
Overall, I’m happy with it, not too much effort and you don’t need a lot so seems quite cost effective (about 20p worth per line).
5DA78D8A-4C45-4B5D-BC48-2711AEDBA8C8.jpeg
D0FF4D8D-EE10-4BD2-BE6D-5E338F212636.jpeg

Having just posted this, I’ve just noted the warning about contact with acids liberating toxic gasses, and I ran Star San through which of course is an acid, diluted heavily but still, I’ll probably flush with plain water next time before I sanitise the lines.

Ha Ha, I was just reading your first post thinking you shouldn't run starsan through it and I'd better let you know, then saw your second postacheers.
Just another bit of advice, never exceed the dose and never leave it in the pipes for too long.
It's safe if you use it correctly but can cause damage if abused.

Having just posted this, I’ve just noted the warning about contact with acids liberating toxic gasses, and I ran Star San through which of course is an acid, diluted heavily but still, I’ll probably flush with plain water next time before I sanitise the lines.
That'll be chlorine gas from the bleach component in that cleaner. Definitely, definitely flush that out before sanitising with an acid. The other major component is potassium hydroxide which is highly corrosive like caustic soda. Handle with care.

Latest posts

Back