Pipeline

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyTheClaw

Reaction score
Hi there,

Since I started brewing back in August (kits) I’m now on my second batch of beer (festival razorback - yum). I’ve planned a pipeline from day one, based on how many storage vessels I’ve had and gone for 2 week intervals on a primary, 2 kegs and 2 lots of bottles so my beer so far has had about 8 weeks and is nice. I’ve also recently got an extra FV and Keg off freecycle so have just done a Christmas beer (3 weeks in FV) and that’s just started conditioning in the keg as I write this.

If I used one of the fermenting buckets and the extra keg after Xmas it would give me a pipeline 12 weeks long. My questions are:
- in your opinion, how much better would the beer be?
- would it be worth the extra hassle (risk of contamination) of doing a secondary ferment In a plastic bin with lid slightly off? (I have a fermentation chamber if that makes any differnce)
- or would it be better to just take the extra 2 weeks in the extra keg?

would love to get your thoughts!

I'd definitely not do a secondary. As you are setting up for a continuous production I'd go with that and aim to give your beers the time they need.
But....some beers like wheats and hoppy IPA can be ready sooner than you think...then you will have to adjust...then there's always how long you can keep your mitts off it!!

While I've never had any issues with a 2ndary or even moving to a bottling bucket, I've now stopped doing either and go straight from the fv to the keg (though with a 1c cold crash along the way).

I'd go for extra time in the keg if you have somewhere to keep them at the right temp, but every beer will have a different fermentation time, and kegging time (I was drinking one of my first all grain the day after it was kegged - it was great though only got better)

Thanks for the replies. Going to give secondary a miss (wasn’t keen on it anyway).

Think I’ll just take the extra 2 weeks as suggested and maybe look to build up a bigger supply of bottles (have been asking for donations) so I can add a further 2 weeks which should get me to 14-16 weeks FV to glass which should be plenty.

Back