Pitching Extra Yeast - Stuck Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris17

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Wit not the Friday just gone, but the Friday before. OG was 1.045 and I was expecting FG to be around 1.012. I am hoping for a quick turnaround (hoping to be drinking it mid-July for my birthday), so I took a gravity reading last Thursday and it was at 1.020. I took another one this morning (3 days later) and its still at 1.020, so I've come to the conclusion that its probably stuck.

Luckily I'd over-built my original starter by approx. 100 billion cells (using a calculator) in order to save some yeast for my next batch. So I have decided to try pitching this. I have made a yeast starter this morning with the spare yeast and it already appears to have a thick Krausen on top, only 6 hours later. I usually cold crash and decant the starter beer/wort before pitching yeast starters, but as mentioned above I'm against the clock to try and get it bottled and conditioned in time!

I was just wondering on what peoples thoughts were on pitching the full starter after only 6 hours? Its only a small 10L batch and my starter is about 500ml.

Would also appreciate any advice on how to deal with stuck fermentation in the future??

The yeast is Wyeast 3944, if that helps?!

this is what @terrym posted. Click the arrow next to terrym said.

Cheers, I did have a quick look at this earlier, which was why I decided to go ahead and pitch the extra yeast.

It's weather or not pitching the starter after only 6 hours is too early that I'm concerned about. And what peoples thoughts on the affects of pitching 500ml of starter wort in a 10L batch.

It's weather or not pitching the starter after only 6 hours is too early that I'm concerned about. And what peoples thoughts on the affects of pitching 500ml of starter wort in a 10L batch.
In my own opinion your starter has started (I haven't done a starter for a few years) and you have a krausen, 500ml maybe too much but I used to make my starter on the same day that I brewed and waited a couple of hours until I added it and all was fine.

In my own opinion your starter has started (I haven't done a starter for a few years) and you have a krausen, 500ml maybe too much but I used to make my starter on the same day that I brewed and waited a couple of hours until I added it and all was fine.

I have gone for it and pitched the starter. Thanks for your advice!!

Back