Pitted Stainless Ferm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott75

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm at my wit's end a little. I've inherited a stainless GF fermenter, no idea of its history. It's good, but there were some patches that look like rust / pitting.

I've tried all sorts to get it out, warm PBW, conc star San (5x normal conc), vinegar, neat star San.

I've tried scrubbing, but only with white scrubbers.

Most of it has improved (I think) but there's still a patch that looks ropey. It's hard to take pictures but see what you can see.

It feels pitted when I touch it. I think it needs gently smoothing out somehow. Green scrubby? Wet and dry? Drill polish attachment?

Any advice welcome!!!

Attachments

• IMG-20211230-WA0028.jpeg
    IMG-20211230-WA0028.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 52
I don't know whether anyone's got any thoughts here, but a bit of an update.

I had a good go at the marks which I initially thought were rust, using BKF, with no change. They're rough to touch and I think they're scuffing when the previous owner had maybe used a drill paint mixer.

Since then I've had a go with wet and dry, working up from 400 to 3000 grit, with the view to polishing afterwards. In truth, I don't think the surface feels any smoother actually, the marks are perhaps marginally less noticeable?

My plan now is to give it a polish and then leave some conc star San in it to try and build up the stainless layer

It may well be useable if it's cleaned well between uses, but I'm pretty fed up with it and might just give up on it.

A drill with a medium and then fine flap wheels may remove it, then metal polish on a polishing mop might be effective. But if you sterilise it, will it matter?

Latest posts

Back