Pizza dough with beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never used beer before only tepid water; ar ethe quantities the same?

Also how much does it influence the dough in taste?
The same.

It depends on the beer. The beer I used was a batch testing a new malt that gave the beer a sweet honey like taste.
The dough rose a bit more and got a little airier than with water.

The same <i.e. quantity of beer in place of water>.

It depends on the beer. The beer I used was a batch testing a new malt that gave the beer a sweet honey like taste.
The dough rose a bit more and got a little airier than with water.
I've been giving this beer in pizza dough a bit more thought …

As I said earlier, I do use a bit of enzyme active barley malt in pizza dough (from a recommended tip). The converted starch (dextrin and maltose) probably aids the colouring of the pizza base, especially when cooking in a low temperature household oven (i.e. 250-270C). Using beer is going to directly add those dextrin sugars. Yeast isn't supposed to like high alkalinity water or pHs over 7, and beer will have been made with water treated to reduce alkalinity, and will probably be pH4ish any how. Perhaps that is a reason for airier pizza dough? Some suggestions pizza dough likes a bit of sulphate in the water too.

All in all, this using beer sounds like a good thing to try. I'll be giving it a go just as soon as I've got some suitable beer on as it looks like I might be living on pizzas for a while: All this Corona virus panic buying left no flour in the supermarkets, and my usual supplier of 5Kg bags of "00" pizza flour has run out of stock, so I ended up with a 25Kg sack of the stuff! Works out cheap, but a lot of pizzas! At least I can use the "00" flour to make loaves of bread too (I've tried it, but without beer).

In anticipation I dug up this (French) Guy's take on pizza making (without beer!). He definitely has an entertaining take on the subject:

[EDIT: I was interested in your comment "... new malt that gave the beer a sweet honey like taste". Which malt? I got this using Chevallier barley malt but have heard of no-one using the description "honey", yet it wasn't just me saying the beer tasted of honey.]
[EDIT2: And there's a whole series of those "French Guy" pizza videos if you go looking!]

Last edited:
I think the additional yeast in the beer caused the dough to rise more.
The malt I used was a new one from Great Western called brumalt.

… Here's a marinara I made a few months ago. My pizzas aren't usually as round, they usually are more "rustic"

View attachment 23376
Long time on, but I finally got around to a "Marinara" pizza. They are great! No cheese to distract from a well made base and tomatoes. And the extra garlic adds all the flavour you need (and "social distancing" eliminates the worry of garlicy breath). Lack of cheese also seems to cook better bases.

But I'm also getting together what I need to make mozzarella cheese at home. It seems so easy! There's my favourite pizza guy: HOME | Mozzarella, and there are also "shortcut" methods using a microwave. And supermarket deliveries are not so impossible to get any longer … I'll need to be determined to avoid returning to the Tesco mozzarella.

And of course, there's beer in the pizza dough to try yet!

Yeah, so simple but so good when done right

This was my favourite pizza from a couple of weeks ago, three cheese (mozz, pecorino sardo and feta) fried garlic chanterelles, spicy salami, chives

IMG-20200502-185304275-HDR-01.jpg

Back