Planning 1st AG IPA - recipe -

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richy25

Reaction score
A friend shared this recipe with me, looking for ideas for my 1st dive into proper AG.
He brews big so its probably nice!
I love all the citrus and tangy IPA's, stuff in my sig. :)

Looks good?

thought I'd share here as it looks like a good starting point.

IPA 5 gal batch

10lb pale malt
1.5lbs caramel/crystal malt

1oz magnum--------boil 60mins
1oz centennial----boil 30mins
1oz cascade-------boil 5mins

1pk american ale yeast

dry hop
1oz cascade ------7 days

Personally I'd drop the 30 min addition and use at either flameout or add to dry hop. Your dry hop could be bigger.

Yeast wise, assuming you are using dried, us05

I would drop the crystal amount too as you want the hops to shine through and not be fighting too much maltiness.
I also do not do bittering hops and get my IBU's from a larger charge of late addition flavour hops so more centennial and cascade for that fuller flavour and depending on how much you like hoppy beers a slightly bigger dry hop say 50g. Do not forget my opinion is my opinion so do not take it as gospel but it works for me

Thanks for the input guys, so I’ll maybe drop the crystal too 10% 1lb. I’ll drop the 30 mins cenntinal. (Is this for bittering at this time?
) and dry hop double cenntinal.

if I remove some crystal malt I just make up the lost abv with more pale
Malt yes?

Yesthe you can just add Pale Malt until you hit your SG or ABV. Do not forget if you drop the centennial altogether it will affect your IBU's. My idea of not using bittering hops is so that you can get more hops in later in the brew for more flavour so you could move some of the Centennial to your Cascade drop and adjust to the IBU you want then add some to the dry hop as well, do not forget as I have said this is just my method and some still prefer to do bittering hop method.

Thanks baron. I’m a huge hop fan so will add some cenntinal at flame out and dry hop extra!

Good luck mate there is not one way that suits all but I find that as long as you are ok with the expense of extra hops and not bothered about saving hops by using the cheaper bittering hops in hoppy beers it is the way to go for that style

No point having 5 gal of not so hoppy beer for me!!!!

is the magnum@60 mins the main bittering hop here ?

I don’t think I like Beers too bitter.
I guess just middle ground would be be bittering for me Still trying to hone my taste buds trying loads different beers I normally wouldn’t drink.

Yes Magnum is used by a lot brewers as a bittering hop as it is regarded as pretty neutral so really add nothing but bittering. I personally would drop this and add more cascade and centennial to your preferred IBU's. By the way what is the IBU on the recipe?

I would recommend that you look at using one of the recipe builders such as Brewers Friend or you may end up with a really bitter beer not to your taste. Brewers Friend you do not have to pay subscribe to as you have the first 5 recipes free and it will open up your brewing potential. You can print them once finished and change the recipe for a new one if you do not want to subscribe hence 5 can become never ending if you so require

I have just run your original recipe through Brewers Friend for you and it is coming out at 90 IBU's which is extremely bitter and 5.5% ABV. Could somebody else check that I have not inputted anything wrong

this is what I got mate. IBU 43.5. IS the scale just up to 100?

Capture1.JPG

here the recipe in real money :)

4.54kg pale malt
0.68kg caramel/crystal malt
boil hops
28g magnum--------boil 60mins
28g centennial----boil 30mins
28g cascade-------boil 5
ins
1pk american ale yeast
dry hop
28g cascade ------7 days

Last edited:
i have adjusted it for leaf hops and to your crystal etc and still get 78 IBU's
Could somebody else run this through as I am struggling to find why there is a difference and whether it is me or Richy

I've just put it through brewfather and at 23l (5 imperial gallons) I've got 71 IBU and 4.9%

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of magnum to me so it'll be pretty bitter,I assume you don't mean ozs but grams, I like my hoppy beers and hardly ever add a bittering hop now. I'd also move the 30 minute addition to a 5 minute as 30 minutes will add more bittering than aroma or flavour.
Rule of thumb, later additions = aroma and flavour.

Back