Planning 1st AG IPA - recipe -

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes @MmmmCitra Ive edited it meant grams. I don't think i like bitter beer much so will prob think on it......

I'm pretty with the beer calculator so its probably me messed it up .

If it is about 70 something IBU I'd suggest dropping the magnum to 10g especially if you don't like too bitter beers.

I've just looked at it and I think I see the. Problem. You need to up the pre boil size to about 25l and post boil to 23l. Nothing major

Yes agree Cowman just looked at it myself deffo pre-boil and post -boil volumes wrong
If you change them Richy you should get a figure nearer the rest of us on IBU's which are way too bitter for most people I would drop the magnum altogether and put your hops to late/aroma additions as MMMCitra suggests too. The figures Cowman has suggested will be approx but get yu where you need to be as every System/kettle vary slightly with boil off but they are pretty good average figures which you can tweak for your system after a few brews and you know your real boil off

@MmmmCitra thanks for the input. You sound like you like the same kinda style. Do you have a goto IPA nice recipe to share. I think I'm along the right lines with these type of hops and would rather go late additions for more flavour/amoras. :)

Late additions and dry hops are the way to go if you want hoppy beers. What hops have you got? are you building a recipe before buying them?

Late additions and dry hops are the way to go if you want hoppy beers. What hops have you got? are you building a recipe before buying them?

Haven't bought any ingredients for it yet, just looking for a decent starting point for a citrusy hoppy even grapefruity type IPA. JUst bought a prima dona hop rhyzome from fleabay for poly tunnel. Should be fun to grow and harvest!

Hi Richy have you marked it private now as it will not let me see the recipe now?

I would have thought I'd lose a lot more water than 2 litre?
with grain absorption, trub loss and reboil,etc?

Should me preboil not be around the 30lt mark?

Also does "aroma" on the hop part of the calculator mean "at flame out"?

Cheers.

No the pre-boil is the amount after the mash so the grain loss is in the mash and the pre-boil is what you collect from the mash so as a approx example you would mash with 19ltres then sparge with 12 to 14 litres depending on how large the graingill is to get 28 ltr pre-boil to get 23 ltr to the FV

19 ltrs mash water + 13Ltrs sparge = 32ltrs
grain loss 4 ltrs to give 28ltrs pre-boil
boil off and trub loss 5 Ltrs to get 23 ltrs to FV
all figures are approx depending on system but will be there or there abouts and can be tweaked after a few brews

Still basically the same the figures are approx so once you have done the first brew you need to take note of how much loss there is to the grain and then in the boil and trub that way you can get your figures nearer for the second brew

Back