Planning a Raspberry Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, sorry for resurrecting and hijacking this thread but I realised I am now coming to the end of the primary and havent really thought this through. Now I have been googling and reading about blanching, pasteurising, santising the fruit etc. Initially I was just going to thaw it and dump it loose in the FV. Then I thought about using a hop bag and now I am considering whether to sanitise it in someway?

@Horners when you say you banged yours in do you mean no treating the fruit first as well, just open the FV and pour the berries in? I am inclined to just do that but I don't want to ruin a brew through laziness.

To be fair I was using frozen raspberries from Lidl. I did start to try and bring them up to pasteurisation temperature in a pan but it all felt like it was turning into jam and I had chosen much too small a pan so it made stirring them all a bit tricky such that second half of raspberries pretty much went in untreated.

To be fair I was using frozen raspberries from Lidl. I did start to try and bring them up to pasteurisation temperature in a pan but it all felt like it was turning into jam and I had chosen much too small a pan so it made stirring them all a bit tricky such that second half of raspberries pretty much went in untreated.
Checks freezer - 3 bags of frozen raspberries from Lidl :laugh8:
Ok it is Czech Lidl but they probably come from the same factory lol.

Thought I'd just update mine. Brewed a few weeks back, bit of aggro with the bottling stick but it came out well... Wife says it could be more sour....

1634044237233.jpeg

Attachments

• 1634044233989.jpeg
    1634044233989.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 22
I haven't made a raspberry beer for as long as I can remember. I shall use 50/50 wheat and barley malt this time, but my last effort was a batch of Summer Lightning where I just chucked in the raspberries. They had been frozen and a remember sprinkling some sodium metabusulphite on them to stop anything taking hold while they were thawing, which had the effect of bleaching many of them. They went in at the end of the fermentation and were left to ferment out before bottling. The beer went down well.

Back