Plaster taste to kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scatcat

Reaction score
Hello I'm fairly new to brewing kits.
The fist couple were disasters as they tasted of plasters/antiseptic.
My tap water is very chlorinated so I started using campden tablets to treat the water, leaving it to stand for 30 odd mins before using it.
I use VWP to sterilise everything and rinse bottles in water that has had a campden tablet in it. Despite all this I keep getting a slight antiseptic wiff from opened bottles and an after taste of plasters. What am I doing wrong? I'm considering using Tesco bottled water and a no rinse sanitiser to eliminate any contact with tap water, but is there something else I am missing?
Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for the swift replies everyone.
I'll get rid of that then. I'll get hold of some Starsan and PBW.
Go for overnight standing of the water I'll use too.
Here's to the next brew being a flavoursome success.
Thanks
I’ve found it hard to get hold of Starsan, so I use ‘Chemsan’ for sterilising and Sodium Percarbonate for cleaning athumb..

Thanks for the swift replies everyone.
I'll get rid of that then. I'll get hold of some Starsan and PBW.
Go for overnight standing of the water I'll use too.
Here's to the next brew being a flavoursome success.
Thanks

I'd suggest making one change at a time to enable you to determine if it's the VWP or high chlorination levels in your water that's the cause.
My own experience is that when I used Chemipro oxi "no rinse" cleaner I suffered with the sticking plaster taste. When I rinsed properly the flavour went away. I now actually use VWP all the time and I've not suffered any problems, although I do rinse well

Cheers Tom

That's interesting Tom. I do try to rinse lots but I was thinking I'm rinsing with chlorinated water so perhaps that would cause the taste? Perhaps I wasn't rinsing enough then?
I've gone and bought some Starsan now, bit expensive, but not as expensive as keep getting brews that don't taste brilliant.
Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back