Plastic Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyW

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning all, hope everyone is having a nice Sunday.
I have a question about plastic water bottles. Recently our tap water started to not taste very nice so we've switched to bottled water. This of course means we have mountains of plastic bottles in our house. So, I was wondering could I put them to any use? I'm assuming a fermenter is out because the lack of an air-tight seal, but could I use them for anything at all? Bottling bucket? We tend to buy them in either 5 or 8 litres.
Thanks as always :)

Why could you not seal the lid for use as a fv? You may be able to get a bung to fit with airlock hole..
Would it work? What about the actual plastic itself? It feels very flimsy compared to an FV, would it still work?? Happy days if so!!

I've used one as a demi john for making wine before. Just drilled a hole through the cap and stuck an airlock through, with plenty of vaseline to create a seal. I didn't realise at the time that you could buy rubber grommets to give a proper seal.

Make sure you don't put any pressure in them, as they are not designed to take it and will go pop!

I used 5 litre water bottles as fermenters when I first started I bought a cheap step drill and drilled a 28mm hole in the lids this allowed me to use a standard rubber bung, a 9mm hole will allow a standard airlock to be used but as said above it may not be 100% airtight.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSS-Step...695517?hash=item4d8d745e1d:g:k6EAAOSwFOldwXRL

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Use my 5 litre plastic water bottles for experimenting, do a 23l kit but split 10l into two 5l plastics and try random stuff. Next two are grapefruit ipa and earl grey ipa.

Drill a 1"(25mm) hole in the lid and force a bung with airlock in. Works great.

Latest posts

Back