Plastic or glass demijohns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locky

Reaction score
Does anyone use a plastic demijohn?
Ive seen them advertised, and they seem alot cheaper than glass. does it make the final product taste different?
very new to all this.
Thank you.

I have always used glass but in having all the glass DJ's full but wanting to start another wine off I went to teh CooP and got a 5l bottle of water, used the water then drilled a hole in the lid for an airlock and have used that, fermentation has been great and iI have heard that those more experienced than me on the wine side think this is a good way to go.

The bottled water was about £1 btw.

That is exactly what i intend to do, the water i got was from Lidl, it was 89p for the gallon, i got grommets etc so it seems a nice economical way. They also have a little handle which makes life easy.
Thanks for the info.

Was asking Moley about this too a while back.
for fermentation seems to be no problems with plastic water bottles.

For long term storage I would use glass myself though.
Thats probably just me being a snob but they look a lot nicer in glass.

The grommets not needed btw, just make the hole a bit smaller than the airlock stem and the plastic will fit snuggly :thumb:

Thanks for advice guys.
Just another thing, i read that the normal water bottles shouldnt be re used, like if you take one to the gym for weeks on end as the chemicals in the treated water from the tap react with the plastic making the bottle unuseable. just wondered how this would fair with brewing, whereas glass wouldnt deteriorate in such a way........just a thought..... :wha:

Glass demijohns are the business, and should last a lifetime if looked after properly. Even so, I wouldn't want to buy many more at today's prices. Fortunately, I already had 2 dozen from way back when, then I got 9 more through Freecycle. Locky, join your local group and post a ‘wanted’ notice.

However, I have got 5 Wurzels working at the moment in plastic. I paid 66p for mine (Morrison's, £1.32, BOGOF). It's the first time I've used them, like Wez said all my glassware was full, I'm not keen on the way the top scumline persists in clinging to the plastic (whereas it would swirl clean in glass) and I don't yet know how one will clean up after use. I'm guessing these might not get re-used again.

Once they have a 'tidemark' in them bin them. Apart from that they are great for a few goes but nothing like glass. :cool:

Back