plastic wine bottle corks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topgear

Reaction score
has anyone used plastic wine bottle corks are they any good for home brew??? do they go in easy??? why is there 22mm and 24mm??? :cheers:

If you mean this sort of thing, yes, they are great :thumb:

I didn't realise they came in different sizes, but screw necked bottles can have a significantly larger inside diameter than corked bottles, and I would always test a stopper inside the bottle neck before I went to the bother of cleaning the bottle or removing the label, sometimes they are too loose a fit or don't touch the sides at all.

With previously corked bottles, these stoppers may need a bit of gentle persuasion to drive all the way home, like a rubber mallet, and some leverage with the back of a knife to get them out again, but they are re-usable and you can store the bottles upright.

hi moley thanks for your reply, but i mean the ones that look like real corks but are made of soft plastic :hmm:

If you have found a supplier of those in realistic quantities at sensible prices, give us a link.

For me, that's got to be less than 70p a dozen inc. carriage, and I usually buy by the hundred.

Latest posts

Back