Please Help! - Leaking Pressure Keg

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by ssashton, Apr 17, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Apr 17, 2019 #1

ssashton

ssashton

ssashton

Hi everyone I'm Simon and I'm new here. I'm also new to home brewing, just doing my 3rd batch from a kit.

I bought a pressure keg from Wilko and now at the end of conditioning I've learned that it has held zero pressure! I couldn't even draw a single bottle without adding an c02 bulb. When adding the bulb I noticed the lid of the keg popped upwards which broke the seal and 99% of it escaped. Luckily I don't think any air got in the beer as like I said, I couldn't draw any beer out.

What should I do now?

Can I re-prime in another keg and go though conditioning all over, or maybe use a soda-stream device (which I don't own) to force carbonation?

Thanks!

2. Apr 17, 2019 #2

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

It's likely the top of the keg needs "fettling" as the seal isn't sitting right. As per advice via Terrym the neck of the barrel needs inspecting to check for any uneven bumps and burrs left by the manufacturing process. These should be filed gently away to ensure a nice seating of the seal and lid. As your barrel is full you can't do this! You could try removing the lid,make sure the seal isn't crushed,twisted or whatever and apply a little lubricant...I use petroleum jelly,this can help. Also do not over tighten the lid as this can have the wrong result as it can distort the seal..
    If you really wanted to fix the lid if this is the case you could put the beer in a sterilised fv vessel sort the barrel,sterilise it then reprime with more sugar and see how it goes but too much messing about risks infection.

3. Apr 18, 2019 #3

ssashton

ssashton

ssashton

Thanks for your reply. To be honest I think the problem with the keg is too large a top. It's great for getting a hand in there to clean it, but it has too large a surface area for the pressure to push against and it forces the seal to leak.

I was more asking the best course of action to salvage the beer, rather than the keg. However I have already moved it to my other keg (which is able to pressurise) but I'm not sure I did the right thing by moving it over without the trub on the bottom (from 3 weeks conditioning already done!). Perhaps now it won't have enough yeast to make any further C02. I'm thinking I should have given the keg a good shake up to re-float the yeast before transfer.

4. Apr 19, 2019 #4

kelper

kelper

kelper

Landlord.

I think my two PB's also lose gas as I've used about 10 8g bulbs to keep enough pressure to dispense via a top tap. But I retrofitted square seals instead of 'O'-rings and pressure tested them before use. They seemed OK in that, pressurised, they did not leak any water when I turned the barrel upside down.

Before my next brew, I will pump them up with a car tyre pump to 10psi and monitor for two days. The air from the pump is hot so the pressure will fall initially as it cools.