Please test my Simple Water Calculator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I inferred from your label of “Sulphate:Chloride Ratio“ that the result was 3:3 rather than 3.3
You're right, it is easy to misread that. I've added a ": 1" to the box which should be clearer:
k73y0eZ.jpg

Hi Steve I have a quick question about your water calculator and Gypsum & Ca Chloride. Once you've entered all your numbers you get the amounts you need. There's a number given for both Gypsum and calcium chloride. If you only plan to use Gypsum do you need to only add the amount recommended or take into account the amount in ca chloride that was also given?

Hi Steve I have a quick question about your water calculator and Gypsum & Ca Chloride. Once you've entered all your numbers you get the amounts you need. There's a number given for both Gypsum and calcium chloride. If you only plan to use Gypsum do you need to only add the amount recommended or take into account the amount in ca chloride that was also given?
Hi Bradley, I'm not sure I understand your question. The calculator works out gypsum and calcium chloride additions based on the target sulphate and chloride inputs, so it will only suggest a calcium chloride addition if you have input a chloride target that is higher than the starting chloride.

Hi Bradley, I'm not sure I understand your question. The calculator works out gypsum and calcium chloride additions based on the target sulphate and chloride inputs, so it will only suggest a calcium chloride addition if you have input a chloride target that is higher than the starting chloride.
Yeah I think I worded it badly but you've answered it thanks! 👍

Steve I've been looking over your/ my notes regarding water treatment...I've also been trying your calculator...
I'm trying to get my head round this slowly...
Regarding the calculator...
What are my TARGET figures for sulphate and chloride?
Cheers.
Ah...might have got it...I found a load of target profiles in Brewers Friend...??
And...re-read your instructions PROPERLY ..yes..I get it now! Brilliant! Thanks!

Last edited:
target profiles in Brewers Friend
Yes I've seen those. Not sure I would use any of them personally, especially the historic profiles. For a malty beer you could try something like 150 - 200 ppm chloride and 50 ppm sulphate, or for a hoppy beer 200 - 250 ppm sulphate and 75 chloride. In both cases make sure the resulting calcium is >100 ppm, and adjust the alkalinity to get an estimated mash pH of around 5.4 (give or take a couple of 10ths).

This will get you started at least and in future you could try increasing or decreasing sulphate and/or chloride to see if it's more to your taste.

Thank...I just had play with the numbers regarding the profile for Dublin Dry stout off Brewers friend Vs the stout you posted..the chloride level is about 9 times less in the Dublin...

Yeah 19 ppm chloride in a stout is ludicrous in my opinion. Although in their defense they do say "historical water profiles don’t take into account water treatment that brewers may have done." For comparison though, Graham Wheeler's calculator has 340 ppm chloride in its stout profile 🤔

Are there any other style profiles you could suggest please Steve?
Eg. Saison.
I have a post below with some example profiles but (and I feel like I need to say this everytime I suggest a profile because some people get very worked up over this stuff) these are suggestions only, they are not to be taken as gospel, and if anyone thinks these are way off then that's OK, brew your own way!

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/suggested-water-profiles-by-style.81848/

Hiya Steve
I've tried working out a profile using my values for the Czech pilsner..with sulphate target of 50,it warns me that my minimum is 70 as it will add too much CRS (9.3ml) for the sparge,I change the value to 70 and it allows this,the CRS stays at 9.3.
Would a German pilsner profile be similar?
Cheers
Clint

Hiya Steve
I've tried working out a profile using my values for the Czech pilsner..with sulphate target of 50,it warns me that my minimum is 70 as it will add too much CRS (9.3ml) for the sparge,I change the value to 70 and it allows this,the CRS stays at 9.3.
Would a German pilsner profile be similar?
Cheers
Clint
I would happily use 70ppm sulphate with a Czech pilsner thumb

Crunching some numbers for brew day...I put in all my values and suggested targets for IPA...target alkalinity of 20....the resulting mash pH comes back as "infinity"...what's that mean?

Crunching some numbers for brew day...I put in all my values and suggested targets for IPA...target alkalinity of 20....the resulting mash pH comes back as "infinity"...what's that mean?
:oops: I have no idea. Can you give give me your inputs so I can see what happened?

Ok...
My water..
KH...91
Ca...75
Chloride...13
Sulphate...30
IPA target..
Ca 150
So4 250
Chl..75
KH 20
Mash 13 litre
Sparge 24 litres
Cheers

Ok...
My water..
KH...91
Ca...75
Chloride...13
Sulphate...30
IPA target..
Ca 150
So4 250
Chl..75
KH 20
Mash 13 litre
Sparge 24 litres
Cheers
Not sure, check your grain bill, expected OG, and beer colour have been set correctly, and also your crystal and roast malts. I entered those details and it seems to be working:
P3FxJNU.jpg

Thanks Steve...
I added grain bill of 5.24,colour at 5.9,OG 1050...clicked zero for crystal and roast but got 500g Munich in there..CRS for acid...
I'll have another go...

Latest posts

Back