Please test my Simple Water Calculator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you enter the beer colour in SRM but the Crystal Malt colour in L?
Good question, but probably because those are the units I use when formulating recipes. For simplicity sake if you assume that SRM and L are the same and that EBC is SRM x2 (which they certainly aren't) it will be close enough. PH prediction are only that, predictions, but even if it's not exactly correct it should get you into the correct range at least.
I might have to give Phosphoric acid a try but does't that cause other issues?
Tbh I've never used it, but there may be some issue with calcium precipitation during the mash. I don't know enough about it to know if that's worth worrying about, and there's disagreement between the experts on it, but there are plenty of people who use it seemingly without issue.

So...if like myself I only have CRS to adjust with and I get a warning notice what else can I do? I think iirc I had trouble achieving a profile for Pilsner..a little fettling got me near to the one you suggest Steve but not exact. But I suppose near will be good enough.

If you're using CRS and you get a warning message, it means that the amount of sulphate and/or chloride added by the CRS takes the total concentration above the target value. If this happens you have four options:

1. Increase the target sulphate/chloride to the minimum level specified in the warning message.
2. Raise the target alkalinity value so as to use less CRS.
3. Swap to phosphoric or lactic acid.
4. Dilute your tap water with RO or similar to reduce the starting alkalinity.

These options might not be viable for you but some target profiles simply aren't possible, depending on the starting profile, without mineral dilution. This is naturally more likely when aiming for something like a pilsner profile.

Tbh I've never used it, but there may be some issue with calcium precipitation during the mash. I don't know enough about it to know if that's worth worrying about, and there's disagreement between the experts on it, but there are plenty of people who use it seemingly without issue.
Thanks Steve. I've just ordered some food grade phosphoric acid so I'll see how I get on.

To remove the warning I needed to put target sulphate at minimum levels of 67 against target of 50. With suggested additions this gives me a sulphate/chloride ratio of 1.3:1 for a pilsner. I also put the target alkalinity at minimum of 15. This gives calculated calcium at 82 against suggested target of 50. Predicted mash 5.4.
Does this sound ok?

To remove the warning I needed to put target sulphate at minimum levels of 67 against target of 50. With suggested additions this gives me a sulphate/chloride ratio of 1.3:1 for a pilsner. I also put the target alkalinity at minimum of 15. This gives calculated calcium at 82 against suggested target of 50. Predicted mash 5.4.
Does this sound ok?
Yeah that looks absolutely fine to me thumb.

Has strange-steve taken this down? I went to use it today and it's no longer available.

Latest posts

Back