Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by KiaOraBrew, Nov 14, 2018.
Refractometer won’t read the FG correctly due to the alcohol.
If you don't know the recipe FG 100%, then two hydrometer readings are necessary. Nice color in the photo.
Sadly the recipe doesn't say. It's been sat at that FG on refractometer for nearly a week though
Refractometers are affected by alcohol, so unless you have an adjustment calculator you should only use them pre-fermentation, and a hydro during and post fermentation, when you have alcohol.
So definitely ready. 1.020 isn't bad for a big extract. Maybe post how it turns out? Good luck.
Recipe called for a secondary fermentation but I've decided to leave it in primary for an extra week in place of this so I'll be bottling this weekend.
I'm no expert with refractometers but I think I remember reading that they were more accurate before fermentation started. I have one at home and think I only used it 2 or 3 times before giving up on it. I think I was experiencing a similar problem with it.
Ordinarily, I would say to bottle when you've reached an FG that you are content with. But this time I would recommend leaving it for a few more days, taking a reading with a hydrometer each day, to see if it ferments out a bit more. If it stays the same, personally, I'd bottle it. 7.6% would be close enough for me.
Here we have the end product. Sitting at around 8.2% after bottle conditioning.
Not bad for my first ever brew.
It tastes a little syrupy but I suspect that's the infamous extract tang.
Topped out at an FG of 1.018 plus 0.5%~ increase for bottle conditioning
Ive an AG version of this in the brew fridge now. Second dry hop addition added last night and I will keg on Saturday. Had a wee taste and think this could be a real winner! My FG got down to 1012, ABV 7.4%, used 2 x packs US05 and fermented at 19.5C.
If anyone wants the recipe I can post it up this evening when home from work
What was your OG? Decent attenuation there.
Think it was around 1072, need to check my notes when I go home. I recall 80% attenuation.
I was very impressed, been using CML yeast for a while but have gone off their US pale ale yeast due to poor attenuation. My next brew Im going to try liquid yeast for the first time, got a huge starter going now as hoping to get OG of close to 1090 (but I get bad efficiency over about 1075 so not expecting to hit my target)
My OG was 1.078 and FG was 1.018 with 2 packs of US05 at 20~ degrees. 76% attenuation.
I would have been worried about possible infection but not a hint of any off flavours when I had a taste. Going to cold crash on Wednesday down to 0.5C
I'd be glad of the recipe, the one's i've seen have a very large hop addition at the beginning and midway through the boil which I would think makes it super bitter, claimed 190IBU's , is that drinkable ? thanks
It is bitter. Mines around 95-100 IBU. Its a big old school west coast IPA. Its just what this beer is like.
6Kg two row pale malt
272g crystal 45L malt
272g Carapils (dextrin) malt
340g dextrose (corn) sugar
60g Columbus hops, 13.9%aa - 90mins
15g Columbus hops, 13.9%aa - 45 mins
28g Simcoe hops, 12.3%aa - 30 mins
28g Centennial hops, 8&aa - 0 min
71g Simcoe hops, 12.3%aa - 0 min
28g Columbus hops, 13.9%aa - Dry hop (12-14 days remaining)
28g Centennial hops, 8&aa - Dry hop (12-14 days)
28g Simcoe hops, 12.3%aa - Dry hop (12-14 days)
7g Columbus hops, 13.9%aa - Dry hop (5 days remaining)
7g Centennial hops, 8&aa - Dry hop (5 days)
7g Simcoe hops, 12.3%aa - Dry hop (5 days)
2 packs US-05 yeast
60 min mash at 66-67C
Mash out 77C
90 min boil
brilliant thank you
Awesome, I’lll run that though beer smith.
Separate names with a comma.