Pliny the Melter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big thank-you goes out to @Donegal john for the couple of bags of pale malt he gave me earlier this month. I've now got an eyewatering quantity to get through, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling with a pale malt heavy brew. This clone recipe was shared with me by @phildo79, but I did pull back on the water chemistry a bit 🐣. 15L batch brewed yesterday (Big Brew Day).

Water
Ca 100, Mg 10, SO4 250, Cl 33, SO4:Cl 7.5

Fermentables
Pale malt 4.75kg
CaraMunich II 200g
Carapils 200g
Table Sugar 300g (late addition)

Hops
Columbus 70g 60min
Columbus 15g 45min
Simcoe 20g 30min
Simcoe 50g flameout
Centennial 20g flameout

Columbus 20g 12days dry hop
Centennial 20g 12days dry hop
Simcoe 20g 12 days dry hop

Columbus 5g 3days dry hop
Centennial 5g 3days dry hop
Simcoe 5g 3days dry hop

Yeast
US-05 2 sachets

Vital stastics
15L in the conical: OG 1.072, IBU 178. Expected FG 1.013 for an ABV of 7.7%

Once fermentation is complete I'll dump some trub and attach gas in via the dump valve. Then I'll be able to blast the dry hops that have settled in the cone back into the beer. Apparently they do that at Russian River, so why not. Then it'll get a rather solid cold crash before bottling.

Last edited:
Looks nice @Alastair70 👍

What's the meaning of the dry hop timings though? I have to admit even after several years of brewing now I'm never entirely sure 😳 Is that contact time? I.e. the big dry hop is in there for 12 days contact time, so it goes in, what, a couple of days after yeast pitch? And then the small dry hop goes in near the end so it's only in there 3 days before packaging?

Or is it completely the other way round?

Latest posts

Back