PLUM WINE MAY HAVE GONE BAD...

Discussion in 'Wine, Cider, Mead and Kombucha Discussion.' started by thewelshwizard1, Oct 20, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Oct 20, 2019 #1

thewelshwizard1

thewelshwizard1

thewelshwizard1

Celler boy Supporting Member

Hi guys

As iv`e posted on here a few times regarding my first time at making Plum wine from fruit...I fear it has gone bad at the 2nd rack stage....Slight vinegar aroma to slightly sour to taste - is this normal after the first rack or has it gone bad ?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated on this, as I would like to try it again next season fruit harvest from my tree ?

I followed instructions to ingredients etc found on the WWW, and for some reason also the FG has dropped well below 1.000 thus given the ABV at around 2/3 ABV not want we wont in the wine..... aheadbutt:confused.:

If I have to pour down the drain then so be it, Ill be upset however, hay nothing learned nothing gained I suppose....

2. Oct 20, 2019 #2

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

If it's got a slightly vinegar smell, but doesn't taste vingary, you can try and save it. The sourness is more likely to be from the fruit at this stage.

I didn't understand this bit.

Anyway, as the FG is well below 1000, you can bottle it. Don't de-gas, just bottle it up leaving a minimum head space and synthetic or metal closures- not cork. Vinegar bacillus absolutely needs oxygen so excluding it should save your wine even if it is infected.

3. Oct 20, 2019 #3

thewelshwizard1

thewelshwizard1

thewelshwizard1

So just bottle it, and that's it, what about the vinegar aroma do you think it'll disappear or just not be as bad ?

4. Oct 20, 2019 #4

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

This is a salvage operation, as I understand it. All I can say is that when I've had this with beer, it works 100%. Any whiff of vinegar is driven off with the discharge of gas when the bottle is opened. In truth, I haven't had it with wine, but I have with still cider and that works too. At the end of the day, what have you got to lose? You might add a Campden tablet per gallon as an antioxidant, just dissolve it first and add the solution to the wine, but I wouldn't as plum has such a delicate colour which is easily bleached.

5. Oct 20, 2019 #5

thewelshwizard1

thewelshwizard1

thewelshwizard1

It's pink ish in colour, I'd rather try and salvage it, I'll see what happens, worse case scenario I'll keep off for cooking sick...