Poaching the Christmas Turkey in the Brewzilla

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've followed this thread with horror and trepidation. While I applaud the sense of experimentation and discovery, I fear for subsequent brews. Poaching a turkey in a brewzilla or any other vessel is going to leave it tainted with turkey grease. A bagged turkey, or one wrapped sous vide requires only the merest leak to completely contaminate the vessel. My advice is don't do it unless you want your next few batches of beer to come out challenging my tripe and andouillette imperial shandy in all its horror.

Cock Ale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_ale

I've followed this thread with horror and trepidation. While I applaud the sense of experimentation and discovery, I fear for subsequent brews. Poaching a turkey in a brewzilla or any other vessel is going to leave it tainted with turkey grease. A bagged turkey, or one wrapped sous vide requires only the merest leak to completely contaminate the vessel. My advice is don't do it unless you want your next few batches of beer to come out challenging my tripe and andouillette imperial shandy in all its horror.
I sous vide stuff all the time, never had a leak, just use the right sort of bag, zip lock will be fine

I’ve used the Grainfather to cook my turkey and ham for a few years now. The ham is currently on cooking after steeping all night in a brew bucket. Never had any tainting problem afterwards. You just have to wash carefully and make sure you run cleaning solution through the pump for a while.
I finish both off in an outdoor pizza oven to brown them. Keeps smells and steam out of the house on Christmas Eve.
Happy Christmas to all. Here’s to a fantastic 2021 hopefully.

Step 1 & 2- double sealed (you made me paranoid you awful lot!) actually quadruple sealed as each bag has two zip seals
boiler at 66 deg and now to leave for 22 hours. These are 2.5 litre zip lock bags that I already had for portioning the grain I purchased a few months ago. There's 1.5 litres of chicken stock in there as well which fills the cavity inside the turkey to ensure there's no air in there.

IMG_0425.jpeg
IMG_0426.jpeg

received_860144674750798.jpg

received_2865107640385267.jpeg

Hey Anna! Here's my Xmas lamb! I used a vacuum sealer, added butter, rosemary, a bulb of garlic and salt n pepper and it went in the swan tea urn at 4pm yesterday and is getting 24hr (probably more like 22hr) at set 54c - regulated by the inkbird!

Can't wait to get on this.

My wife is vegan and we're not having any family round now so this is all for me! And there's a turkey crown!

That lamb looks perfectly done So the technique clearly works. My brew gear often gets “borrowed” at this time of year. With all the talk of sous-vide turkey I would commend the technique of brining. This can be done cold in any large brewing vessel and if you put in a food-safe plastic bag first to line the vessel you have a minimal clean up job. Keeps the bird v moist.
also sous-vide does indeed mean under vacuum but it isn’t essential to get all of the air out so a ziplock should work fine. The only danger(apart from contamination) is that part of the bird floats above the water line and doesn’t cook thoroughly.
and congrats fury-tea on the new baby

Here's the Turkey fresh out of the sous vide bag and after 40 min in a hot oven - tasted lovely though I think next time I'd use more oil and less stock to keep it even more moist. I like the look of @fury_tea 's lamb dish, I'll have to remember that for another time 😄.

EDIT - and well done for looking after your wife with the new baby and doing Christmas Dinner... even if she couldn't enjoy the lamb athumb..

A

IMG_0276.jpeg
IMG_0282.jpeg

I though it was French for ‘under vacuum’ which a zip lock bag is not.
You do your best to get most of the air out, then as you lower the bag into your bath the water naturally creates the vacuum.
Even when you have a vac pac machine you put it on the lightest of settings so as not to damage the food👍

Here's the Turkey fresh out of the sous vide bag and after 40 min in a hot oven - tasted lovely though I think next time I'd use more oil and less stock to keep it even more moist. I like the look of @fury_tea 's lamb dish, I'll have to remember that for another time 😄.

EDIT - and well done for looking after your wife with the new baby and doing Christmas Dinner... even if she couldn't enjoy the lamb athumb..

A

View attachment 38402View attachment 38403
Looks awesome 😃
We put our bacon wrapped crown in the oven at 100c, went for a nice long walk. When we got back just got turned the oven up as normal and browned the turkey up.
Think it was just over four hours and reached 70c👍

Latest posts

Back