Poll: Grain brewing Vs Extract Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of brewing do you do?

• Extract brewing only

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Grain brewing only

Votes: 75 66.4%
  • Mainly grain brewing but on occasions extract brew

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • 50/50 Extract & grain brewing

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Part mash Kits

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Beer kits

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

JJPerry

Reaction score
Hi, me again, my poll had to be removed but I'm able to re-issue it. I've added a few more options to get clarity. There are so many on here who discuss both beer kits as well as grain. It would be really interesting to know what that ratio is.

Grain only for me nowadays don't even do the odd kit anymore as I prefer the flexibility on recipe design

I went kit/extract,part mash/ag. If my time of space changed I'd go back to kits as towards the end of kits I was getting some very good results with the Young's stuff.

My guess, and it's only that, is that there are probably more kit brewers overall compared to AG brewers, but not necessarily on this forum or others like it. Whereas we see kit brewers join the forum, many then disappear after a few posts presumably because they have got the info they require. And although some kit brewers do stay (as kit brewers) many move on to AG, rather than extract brewing. And tbh you don't really need to be on a forum like this to make up beer kits, particularly if you are only occasionally brew or not too interested in it unless you just like joining in. Which leaves AG and extract brewers and variations thereof, who are more likely to be on here since they are more likely to be serious about brewing their own beer, for the process as well as drinking it.

Started off with kits until I exhausted the supply from my LHBS. Was starting to get a bit fed up with TBH. Wanted to make beer that was more bespoke so I bought a few books and gave a partial mash a go. First one turned out miles better than any kit I had made and was ready to drink in half the time. That was me hooked. Wouldn't touch a kit now. I would turn my hand to AG if I had the time and space for it, but I don't at this present time.

Think the poll needs a Kit Brewing option as I read extract as making up a brew from malt extract (dried or liquid), hops, sometimes grain steeps and boiling it all up. Essentially everything but mashing.

I only brew kits but I am considering trying some extract recipes this year if I can find the time to make a boiler.

Started with kits, then extract, now all grain.

I wouldn’t consider going back to kits now, they were good at the time but not as good as allgrain and I prefer to concoct my own creations. I’m the same in the kitchen, where I have the skill I like to make rather than buy - sorry I strayed off the reservation there for a moment!

I would consider extract again but probably only if it was bought for me.

Hi, me again, my poll had to be removed but I'm able to re-issue it. I've added a few more options to get clarity. There are so many on here who discuss both beer kits as well as grain. It would be really interesting to know what that ratio is.
It's a shame you didn't put an option for partial mash. I don't do it, but it would be interesting to know if anyone does.

Over the years I've gone:
  • Straight LME with "boil your own" hops. (I can't recall ever doing a Kit in the 1960's and 70's.)
  • Pre-Hopped LME Kits. (Kits had been tremendously improved by the end of the 1990's.)
  • AG Kits. (*)
  • AG. (*)
  • Straight LME with "boil your own" hops.
  • Pre-Hopped LME Kits.
After doing one Partial Mash, I considered it to be the worst of both worlds for time and effort and didn't repeat the process.

Last year I decided that AG was just too time consuming and since then I've stayed with Pre-Hopped LME Kits, with the addition of various fermentables (e.g. Cherry Syrup, Grapefruit Juice etc) and Hop Tea.

Home Brewing is still by far the best hobby I have ever indulged in.

(*) Even when brewing AG, I would do the occasional Kit as well; mainly for friends (gluten free) or to experiment with various flavours.

Best of both worlds. the convenience of malt extract beers and the flexibility of all grain.
I decided to move on from boosting kits and a dabble with extract brewing, but restrict myself to what is essentially stove top brewing using BIAB for the mash. For malt extract I only use DME since I had one or two twangy extract brews with LME. The big advantage for me is brewing beers which I want to brew by trying new things, and not be constrained by a kit, and I believe my beers are much better. However it still takes 4 hours plus from start to finish, but my time is not at a premium unlike others on here, so that is secondary to the end result.

Kits don't cut it for me, personally speaking.

Not had a kit beer I've enjoyed to date.

Think the poll needs a Kit Brewing option as I read extract as making up a brew from malt extract (dried or liquid), hops, sometimes grain steeps and boiling it all up. Essentially everything but mashing.

I only brew kits but I am considering trying some extract recipes this year if I can find the time to make a boiler.
I have now amended the poll, thanks for your feedback

Kits don't cut it for me, personally speaking.

Not had a kit beer I've enjoyed to date.
Nor have I, but using fresh malt extract can produce some very good beer. It occurred to me that someone living in a flat in the city, might have difficulty getting rid of 5Kg or so of wet grain after a mash. I used to use big (25Kg I think) plastic containers of ME aand then the price went up overnight by a frightening percentage. Something to do with VAT, I think, although I had always thought malt extract and sacks of malt were classed as foodstuffs.

Last edited:
I'm with @Dutto on this. I mainly do HLME/LME with steeped grains and hop tea. Just due to time contraints. The time for A/G is triple and extra waste/cleaning although I still use cubes for cooling.
But, I love the flexibility of A/G and the smell of freshly hopped wort. Reminds me of working in S&N, Vaux and the Fed brewery ages ago

My guess, and it's only that, is that there are probably more kit brewers overall compared to AG brewers, but not necessarily on this forum or others like it. Whereas we see kit brewers join the forum, many then disappear after a few posts presumably because they have got the info they require. And although some kit brewers do stay (as kit brewers) many move on to AG, rather than extract brewing. And tbh you don't really need to be on a forum like this to make up beer kits, particularly if you are only occasionally brew or not too interested in it unless you just like joining in. Which leaves AG and extract brewers and variations thereof, who are more likely to be on here since they are more likely to be serious about brewing their own beer, for the process as well as drinking it.
There's also a lot of AG brewers that don't appear to engage with website forums, preferring to make social media connections with homebrewers (and professionals). And/or they just use Google and YouTube.

AGer from the first brew. 90+ brewdays to date with one extract brew for a homebrew club thing, and one kit brew for a review, which I felt like more of a chore than a full brewday due to the lack of any creative input.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back