[POLL] Should Geoffrey Boycott have his knighthood revoked?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should his knighthood be revoked?

• Yes - for all the reasons in the article.

• No - its all in his past (as he has said)

• Other - post in the thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I do not follow cricket but every time i hear this bloke on the radio i turn it off i really cannot be doing with the man.

I find it strange the news are not discussing this part of the article and only discussing the beating -

Boycott also had to apologise in 2017 after joking that he would have to "black up" to be given a knighthood, reportedly saying they were handed out to West Indian cricketers "like confetti".

BBC NEWS - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49639222

Geoffrey Boycott has said he "couldn't give a toss" about criticism over Theresa May awarding him a knighthood in her resignation honours list.

Domestic abuse charities and Labour said the honour should be removed from the ex-cricketer, who was convicted of beating his girlfriend in 1998.

Boycott was fined £5,000 and given a three-month suspended sentence in 1998 after being convicted of beating his then-girlfriend Margaret Moore in a French Riviera hotel.

During the trial, the court heard Boycott pinned Miss Moore down and punched her 20 times in the face before checking out and leaving her to pay the bill.

Boycott denied the allegations, saying Miss Moore had slipped after flying into a rage when he refused to marry her.

Boycott also had to apologise in 2017 after joking that he would have to "black up" to be given a knighthood, reportedly saying they were handed out to West Indian cricketers "like confetti".

Personally think the bloke is C U Next Tuesday. Disgusted by the fact he's in the honors list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this guy is a Bell ender, every time he speaks I just think what a moron, there is speaking like a Yorkshire man and being plain rude.

He lives ont tother side of pennines no way should he be knighted :tongue::tongue::tongue:clapa

as an adopted scouser, I will let harry enfield speak here,
JS72834296.jpg

there is speaking like a Yorkshire man and being plain rude.

As ive said I don't watch cricket but find the cricket prog on 5live amusing I dont think I have ever heard him say anything positive about today's players or game he comes over as a bitter old man

Celebrities shouldn’t get honours for things Joe Bloggs on the street wouldn’t get one for anyway. A Knighthood should be for an exceptional achievement, not because you have been pretty good at your job.
That was my reason for voting "other", but I couldn't put it better myself.
There's some irony about a **** PM honouring a good sportsman (whatever else you might think of him). If BJ resigns tomorrow, will he do an honours list?

Not sure but one is too many, maybe the injuries she suffered were so bad it had to have been more than a single punch. (if it wasn't caused by a fall)

I think the way he came over was bad his response was bad. He shouldn't even be considered he may have been decent in his day but seems to have lost his way a bit and still living in the cricket past. He got his rewards for his past efforts by doing something he loved doing and getting paid for it. As for his personality hes is a bitter old man. I would like to see the age old adage could he do it in the modern game what he did years ago. My thoughts no but he probably thinks hes better than cricket players now days.

I believe he is as innocent as he says he is.

"Margaret Moore's bruises were caused by blood "tracking" down from a bump on her forehead, one expert said"

If you look at the picture she has one bump to the right of her forehead, she has no swelling anywhere else nor any bruising directly under the eyes. I don't know how she got the bump to the head but she certainly has not been pinned down by an ex-sportsman and punched 20 times.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...o-his-innocence-over-domestic-abuse-case.html

As for the blacking up comments, I would not have used those words, and he admitted he shouldn't have either, but until now the last 5 cricketing knighthoods went to West Indians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cricketers_who_were_knighted

As for the blacking up comments, I would not have used those words, and he admitted he shouldn't have either, but until now the last 5 cricketing knighthoods went to West Indians

Did he apologised for being racist if not saying I shouldn't have used those words doesn't cut it and I don't care if the last twenty knighthoods went to West Indians.

I actually quite like him and consider him to be one of the best England cricket players of all time. If Andy Murray gets a knighthood for winning Wimbledon, they Boycott should have been knighted years ago. Of those saying if he played today etc, he faced some of the best bowling attacks in the history of cricket and without the safety protection cricketers have now a days. I think those comments are completely misplaced. Often his comments although grumpy are usually valid.

comments were definitely poorly chosen but understand the frustration behind them. Would be the same as saying if I spoke with an afrikkans/indian/australian accent... He is a well travelled man who frequently speaks incredibly highly of the west indies/west indians and seems highly unlikely that he is

How many honours are actually worthy of them being awarded... A lot of the time I don't see the reasoning behind it or don't think it is worthy. Maybe time to just scrap the whole thing as who really is worthy of it...

As an a side, if our country can have a PM like Boris Johnson and America can have a president like trump, I think Boycott can be a sir. In a perfect world, maybe none can be true but in the world as it is, I can think of worse people to be knighted!

Back