POLL - Would you rent a grainfather?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you rent a grainfather g30

• Total voters

KegThat

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is something I am considering:

• Rent a grainfather G30
  • £50/week
  • Free postage and collection
  • Deposit to ensure cleanliness and security of the product (unsure what amount this would be yet)
  • Discount on ingredients with the rental
Would appreciated your response in the poll :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@BenParr

I think there should be two YES option -

YES i would like to try before i buy.

YES i would like to rent one as i cannot afford to buy one at the moment.

Also -

NO - too expensive to rent (i think £50 may put members off)

NO - too expensive to buy

Only real reason I would want to rent would be to try before I buy, but at £50 I would just read and watch all the reviews online. Just as I did with my brewdevil.

£50 Seems high to brew a beer, I like to ferment under pressure and temperature control so couldn't brew more than once in a week.

I am sure there are places about that allow brewers to come in, use the space and equipment. Might be a better option.

Only real reason I would want to rent would be to try before I buy, but at £50 I would just read and watch all the reviews online. Just as I did with my brewdevil.

£50 Seems high to brew a beer, I like to ferment under pressure and temperature control so couldn't brew more than once in a week.

I am sure there are places about that allow brewers to come in, use the space and equipment. Might be a better option.
Cheers, funnily enough, this is what gave me the idea! Providing people with a space to come and brew would be great and am looking into this but was seeing if there was an opportunity on a national level. It looks like its not possible at this stage but has been great to get the quick feedback :)

Cheers, funnily enough, this is what gave me the idea! Providing people with a space to come and brew would be great and am looking into this but was seeing if there was an opportunity on a national level. It looks like its not possible at this stage but has been great to get the quick feedback :)
You will spend too much on postage and packaging. I also wouldn't trust the various postal companies.

This is something I am considering:

• Rent a grainfather G30
  • £50/week
  • Free postage and collection
  • Deposit to ensure cleanliness and security of the product (unsure what amount this would be yet)
  • Discount on ingredients with the rental
Would appreciated your response in the poll :)

i think thats a good idea and the right amount of cost too. When you consider the time involved to either deliver the unit locally or two way postage plus time to clean , pack and send thats a stonking price. I would never spend £400 plus on any item without trial runs first. I think where you will struggle is home brew is full of 40+ men and by that point they have become opinionated and fixed in their mind set. You are going to struggle to find a regular income from it. if you did get more than two requests a month for the unit. Factoring in postage, delays, cleaning and repairs and resending the units you might end up with two or three units at home and very little call for them.

I also see a use for an apple scratcher for cider makers hire and a wine/cider press.

As well as try before you buy hire. It also has merit in bulk or bigger batches. Some one with a unit looking to double their output for a bulk brew.

There is someone i know in Birmingham that has a 100l tripple pot set up for rent. you need to supply or he will supply two gas bottles. burners are already in the price of hire.

I used it last year to do a couple of wedding gifts for friends. The groom brout the grain i brewed the beer. Three 75l batches. Worked out well.

Years ago the local wine circel home brew club all used to carry spare kit or beginners kit or load kit and as the club scene is dead now on a face to face state that option of loaned kit has gone.

This would be such a niche market, it would be a no from me, on the proviso that if I wanted to ‘try before I bought’ I would consider it but would probably plumb for a brew day @ the malt Miller or the other places that do similar, slightly more expensive but with the added support to get the most out of the machine.

Also what about the ancillaries, spargeheater, paddles wort meter etc…. Seems a lot of shipping weight. Would it be financially viable to courtier it FOC there and back?

Its a good idea but I think it would be better doing what maltmiller do. Customer pays for a brew day. Go to your location and use a grainfather to brew a beer and bring it home to ferment. The novice brewer gets the help and instruction on using a grainfather and cleaning it. There is no chance of postal damage. I don't need on because I already have a G30. I was going to do a maltmiller brew day to try a Grainfather but took the plunge and bought one instead during lockdown.

Thanks for the feedback guys... geographically would anyone be interested in brew days at our warehouse or are we too far out of the way?

It feels like your covering the cost of the unit over a very low number of rentals, when a Grainfather, even being used and abused, should have a lifespan of many years. A better offer would be the unit and ingredients, delivered, for £50 for 3-4 days. I think you'd get greater take up from those that don't have room for storing it, try before you buy, people who might want to do a bigger one off batch, experiment with step mashing and those that don't get to brew regularly enough to justify buying an all-in-one system.

Currently don't feel I need or want one, but if it was cheaper I'd possibly be tempted to have a play with one for a couple of days out of curiosity.

Last edited:
For me I’m in Halifax it’s a nearly three hour drive to Ellesmere Port but that wouldn’t put me off at all I have a S40 at the moment and was considering upgrading to a G30 later this year due to the idiosyncrasies of the S40

There are places to use all in one brew systems one I recall from Leamington Spa look um up on Facebook Beer Torrent , rent for the day or subscription with a tap room Not sure if they got through covid lockdowns

Attachments

• beer torrent.jpg
    beer torrent.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 49
I would definitely consider renting one if I reached a point where I thought I might like to buy one. Which I think I might yet in the next year or two...

Back