Polypin alternative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only water carriers I've ever had in the past have always made the water taste strongly of plastic if left overnight. And I wouldn't trust anything from Mountain Warehouse in any case.

I use polypins and find they can tolerate a fair amount of pressure. As these are designed for water that may not be the case.

Only water carriers I've ever had in the past have always made the water taste strongly of plastic if left overnight. And I wouldn't trust anything from Mountain Warehouse in any case.

Good point, I had not thought about any kind of taste from the plastic, that can be a real problem.

I use polypins and find they can tolerate a fair amount of pressure. As these are designed for water that may not be the case.

I have read these are very strong but the taps can be a bit leaky.
I have only read where someone was using one for short term (few hours) at a party with a beer engine.

Last edited:
Good point, I had not thought about any kind of taste from the plastic, that can be a real problem.

I have read these are very strong but the taps can be a bit leaky.
I have only read where someone was using one for short term (few hours) at a party with a beer engine.
They are PVC rather than Polythene. Nowt wrong with PVC (as long as not hot?) but things get used with PVC (plasticisers and stuff) that isn't so good and is what often gives the "plastic" flavour. They are tougher than polythene though.

They are PVC rather than Polythene. Nowt wrong with PVC (as long as not hot?) but things get used with PVC (plasticisers and stuff) that isn't so good and is what often gives the "plastic" flavour. They are tougher than polythene though.

I have ordered a couple at that price, they might be fun for short term storage to avoid too much plastic taste.

I'm thinking it could be good in the garden for BBQ's etc.
Draw of a few litres from the keg, attach to my bear engine and submerge the container in a rubble trug of cold water to keep it cool, could be perfect to draw a few pints of EPA that does not need much gas.
Certainly be a bit of fun letting everyone draw their own pints.

Back