Polypin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18729

Flat out like a lizard drinking
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A friend has, like many non brewing folk during lockdown, built a garden bar and has a handpump for use with commercial polypins etc.
He’s invited us round in a few weeks and I thought I’d brew something to take round.

So my question-

What should I be looking for to fill with homebrew? Can you buy empty 10L polypin bags or similar that he can easily hook up?

in advance 🍺

Depends on how many friends coming round. If enough just put it in a keg and then turn up with it carbed to about 1.3 vols open it up and connect it and away you go.
Don't worry about keeping oxygen off it as you are going to smash it anyway.
Bags and polypins work but no need if you are going to drink it.
I'd brew a bitter, five points clone from the maltmiller is great.

Depends on how many friends coming round. If enough just put it in a keg and then turn up with it carbed to about 1.3 vols open it up and connect it and away you go.
Don't worry about keeping oxygen off it as you are going to smash it anyway.
Bags and polypins work but no need if you are going to drink it.
I'd brew a bitter, five points clone from the maltmiller is great.
Ideal thanks, it's the Pint365 beer engine he's got and a quick look at the thing online and connecting up a keg should be no problem. I'll probably take half a corny :beer1:

Definitely need to get the carbonation right, but if the engine has a demand valve with it then it is more tolerant of pressure in the keg.
Might be better to take half a corny of bright beer carbed to the correct level. If you prime your corny and transport it all the sediment will get stirred up.
I use this carbonation calculator
https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/ Carb calculator.JPG

Rough estimate of the figures. Stand the corny in a bucket of cold water so it doesn't overheat on the day or in a box with some coolblocks and something to keep the sun off it.

Hi everyone,

A friend has, like many non brewing folk during lockdown, built a garden bar and has a handpump for use with commercial polypins etc.
He’s invited us round in a few weeks and I thought I’d brew something to take round.

So my question-

What should I be looking for to fill with homebrew? Can you buy empty 10L polypin bags or similar that he can easily hook up?

in advance 🍺
Just use a 10 litre cube, I believe you have trouble getting them with taps in the UK so put it on it's side and get a tap cap. As said above don',t worry about oxidising, prime with a tea spoon full of sugar, the pump will do the rest.
002.JPG

Latest posts

Back