Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy today...planted out peas,mangetout and Savoy cabbage,repotted chillies, tomatoes and caulis.
IMG-20200503-WA0000.jpg

At home...some of the echiums are flowering this year..

Great thread. As a newcomer to the forum, I've enjoyed reading from start to finish and seeing all the photos of produce and vegetable gardens.
The big polytunnels look awesome, certainly something I'd like to add to my plot one day.
Planted my tomatoes into the large greenhouse at our plot yesterday. Sowed them in the heated propagator at home in early March and grew on in south facing windows with added aquarium lights.
_20200504_120840.JPG

Great thread. As a newcomer to the forum, I've enjoyed reading from start to finish and seeing all the photos of produce and vegetable gardens.
The big polytunnels look awesome, certainly something I'd like to add to my plot one day.
Planted my tomatoes into the large greenhouse at our plot yesterday. Sowed them in the heated propagator at home in early March and grew on in south facing windows with added aquarium lights. View attachment 25400
If I had a blank canvas for my garden now, I would do what Norman Foster wants to do to Manhattan and cover the whole lot. Not with plastic, with insect exclusion mesh.
Trimmed the grapefruit tree loads of fruit on there.
002.JPG

Swedes coming on strong, second wave just to the fore ground and more seedling to go in.
Sugar snap peas flowering before the Green feast, more Sugar snaps in the hydroponic green house.
005.JPG

Father Fothergills Strawberry's in the hanging baskets slow to grow from seed but worth it.
004.JPG

Rhubarb seems more comfortable now we are in to cooler weather, although rhubarb is a full sun fruit I don't think it means Australian full sun. Lime tree loaded again $1.00 each in the supermarket. (background)
003.JPG

A windy night a few Feijoa's and some Kafir limes (not politically correct now) can't remember the other name for them. Some of the Feijoa's as big as hand grenades.
001.JPG

IMG_20200513_195308.jpg

Forecast a frost tonight and even though I earthed the spuds up the other day they've popped through again...so I put them to bed.
Looks like Worzel Gummidge blew up!

Well a few weeks back I finally managed to get the tunnel finished. Hardest single-handed job I've ever done. Very pleased with how it came out though and so far we have a load of tomatoes, peppers, chillies and melons in there with plenty more still coming on in the greenhouse that'll need planting out. Peas, beans and spuds are in the outdoor beds along with a dozen new raspberry canes.

F3437C84-D1DA-4D4F-8199-EFC389509C57.jpeg

0687EB00-87E1-4C8F-B8A5-F1AFE3418E29.jpeg

IMG_6848.jpeg

Covers removed from the potatoes post cold snap and 60 sweetcorn planted...
_20200516_170428.JPG

Last edited:
I'm doing rubbish with sweetcorn...two batches so far failed to germinate in a heated greenhouse. Normally gets off fine.
Today planted one cucumber in the tunnel to see how it fares,another five beef tomato and planted the okra out.
I have more cues,melons, aubergine and chillies to go in. I think this might happen next week as it's given hot weather.
I got caulis and sprouts to plant but I'm a bit short on netting. Plus plenty of other stuff to transplant and a couple of gates to put up.

Clint, have you tried 'the ruth stout (great name eh) method' of growing veg? I've been watching youtube vids of it recently (even though I haven't got a garden). Seem my perfect way of veg growing. Your hardly have to do anything

I always do the sweetcorn in root trainers in a heated propagator. Think we had about 80 out of 96, germinate
I might put another small block in tomorrow. I've failed with every chilli seed I had this year though... Resorted to buying a couple of plants online and am waiting for them to come.

M..I shall take a look.
It's funny how some years stuff seems to refuse to grow!

Basically you cover the ground in 8inch of straw/hay plant your seeds (or seed thingys like potatoes) in the straw and leave it until harvest time. No digging, weeding, muching, tilling or anything. The straw/hay supresses the weeds, protect the seeds from the weather, keeps the seeds moist and mulches down to create fertile, well tilled soil soil. You just add more hay/straw on top every season/year. Its a form of permaculture. Like I say perfect for a lazy bugger like me

A friend of mine does that. He lives next door to a farm and gets ready access to hay and just chucks a pile down anywhere with some seeds. Mixed results but yeh great if you’re lazy!

I’ve got an ‘urban garden’ which is code for a bunch of big planters on my patio. Had a fairly busy day of planting out today in anticipation of the warm weather. I’ve got tomatoes and aubergines looking great, beetroots coming on nicely and courgettes and cucumbers a little bit behind. Snails had all my carrots in 2 nights right after they sprouted so replanted today. A potted broad bean tripod that’s a competition me vs son vs daughter who planted one each. Some chillies and sweet red peppers in a plastic mini greenhouse. I’m on the waiting list for an allotment, should have one by about 2027 (that’s not even a joke....)

Latest posts

Back