Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sinc3 moving I miss my veg beds and greenhouse. Although with two young kids and a very large garden to look after I doubt I would had time to look after it all. I have one raised bed at the moment about 10x5 feet which I planted up with strawberries as the kids seem to eat them for fun. Got a few fruit bushes.
Looking forward to start licking some apples from the 'orchard'. My apple tree in the old house died and the two pear trees that replaced it never produced much

Looking forward to start licking some apples from the 'orchard'. My apple tree in the old house died and the two pear trees that replaced it never produced much

You’re meant to eat ‘em , cook ‘em or cider them , not lick ‘em ! Ha ha .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good guys. I've just come back from holiday to find a garden overflowing with chillies and tomatoes I don't know what to do with them all.

When I had my chickens (before mr badger paid me a visit) I used to be able to feed them all my spent grains and also store up and use al their muck. Top quality for the veggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have chickens and the spent grain goes to them, they love it!
Last brew rather than ration them like before I just chucked the whole 5kg in all over the floor. The result was very fat, almost immobile chickens! Huge crops, and a reluctance to move much! Hilarious, but I'll ration them again next time I think!

Just picked a few chillies. I freeze them whole as they ripen, last me until I get fresh pods next season

DSC_0287.JPG

Picked all the remaining chillies from a couple of my plants. Pretty sure I've got enough to last me until next season's crop ripen
IMG_20180929_201346159.jpg

I’m gonna try and see how far my toms will go. Might end up with prefrozen tomatoes as this rate.

Although I am ha I’m on for my village fair to enter my carrots and beetroots.

Picked all the remaining chillies from a couple of my plants. Pretty sure I've got enough to last me until next season's crop ripen
Unless you do what I did.
I found a bag of frozen french beans in the freezer last year and cooked them to have with our tea. First mouthful each told us I'd used up her entire crop of green chillies...
We did laugh about it but only once the pain subsided a bit.

Unless you do what I did.
I found a bag of frozen french beans in the freezer last year and cooked them to have with our tea. First mouthful each told us I'd used up her entire crop of green chillies...
We did laugh about it but only once the pain subsided a bit.
:laugh8: I've got a freezer drawer dedicated to my chillies, so I should be ok. I'm the only one in the family who eats them so no-one else goes in thereathumb..

I was thinking of putting some hose into my tunnel so I can turn the tap on once a day. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this. Every year it's either over watered or left to dry out. Would like to harvest more than a few toms this year.

I was thinking of putting some hose into my tunnel so I can turn the tap on once a day. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this. Every year it's either over watered or left to dry out. Would like to harvest more than a few toms this year.
I prefer to use self watering pots like these I my greenhouse, but probably not best suited to a larger scale (could make your own?).
https://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/quadgrow.html/

In
in my poly tunnel I use the dropper system. It uses that small bore black tube (5mm) tapped off of a main hose which is about 10mm diameter. You then have adjustment drip controls at the end of each 5mm pipe. I think it’s made by hose lock mount other makers.

I then have that hooked up to one of those timed outside tap controllers. Only a cheap one powered by batteries but I get it to open once a day for 15 mins (or whatever you need) at about 9pm and that’s done my poly tunnel all summer and while I was away on a 3 week holiday.

Like one of theses
https://www.screwfix.com/p/micro-ir...Vh7_tCh3pEgkyEAQYBSABEgKkHPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My watering system is great...it's the Mrs Clint method...she loves her pink watering can and wellies with dogs on...fair play!
She's mad for the poly tunnel...we've put in our heated propagators...lots of tomatoes..about 6 varieties, chillies,4 varieties,peppers, aubergine,plus other stuff....as soon as temps warm a little I will pot up some beans,brassicas etc in the tunnel to get them started ...it was 27c in there the other day. We've put loads of well rotted manure on the beds inside too. I plan to grow melons again this year..the cantaloupe type,had loads last year. We are going to try growing water melon too. The section for these I'm going to dig out and fill with lots of manure to create a hot bed.

Latest posts

Back