Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20190927_093549.jpg
lots of toms!!

Been a great year for toms down south - only bothered with 6 plants this year and have had buckets of them with a lot more to come. The tumbling tom I have in one of the trugs has been particularly prolific. Have given them a lot more attention this year in terms of picking and feeding weekly

No blight or other mould anywhere to be seen.

What do you grow in the poly tunnel in winter Clint?
Years ago I came across a method of heating greenhouses, dig a hole slightly bigger than a bale of hay, drop a bale of hay in, chuck in blood and bone and water well, then cover with a good layer of soil. The bale warms up as it composts but also builds up the soil at the same time.
I’ve not actually tried it but you might want to give it a try.
Brian

Sounds interesting....would leave a nice hot bed for next year's melons..
Last winter we grew mangtout,peas and cabbages. Same this year but trying caulis and French beans too.

Been a great year for toms down south - only bothered with 6 plants this year and have had buckets of them with a lot more to come. The tumbling tom I have in one of the trugs has been particularly prolific. Have given them a lot more attention this year in terms of picking and feeding weekly

No blight or other mould anywhere to be seen.
Yep same for me. I’ve got tonnes to do something with. This year the sun gold has been the stand out flavour Tom this year. I’ll post a pic of my tunnel in the light tomorrow.

Sounds interesting....would leave a nice hot bed for next year's melons..
Last winter we grew mangtout,peas and cabbages. Same this year but trying caulis and French beans too.
I will be interested to see how the beans go, I have had cauliflower in my poly tunnel but our winter temps are quite mild and they tend to bolt, I can grow tomatoes in the green house (unheated) through winter though they aren't as productive due to shorter daylight hours.

My tomato plants are still going here, probably another two weeks worth of picking. I’ve had some decent cucumbers this summer but they’ve had very tough skins, do folks think that is just because of the variety or something in the growing process? The skins weren’t edible but I found a use for them, got my gin infusing kit out!

My cues all failed as did the melons. Last year with the high temps at one time I counted 50+ cues on around 5 plants...the plants had grown to massive proportion and covered a 6x8 area and over 6ft tall..couldn't give them away.

Yeh my cucumber plants got crazy big and a bit leggy, don’t think I got them quite right. I had them in pots and during the really hot weather they were drying out daily, sometimes twice.

Yeh my cucumber plants got crazy big and a bit leggy, don’t think I got them quite right. I had them in pots and during the really hot weather they were drying out daily, sometimes twice.
I think that cucumbers, in particular, like their roots to be kept damp. I've had a reasonable crop this year, but several bitter ones and quite a few misshapen. Think that was mostly to do with the quality of the seed / variety.

Started planting my tomatoes today, one dozen Tommy Toe, a bit of extra space so 3 Money makers went in behind. Cauliflower coming out of polytunnel seem to have settled down first one started going to seed before I spotted it.
007.JPG 008.JPG 006.JPG
Romanesco Broccoli out side ready for harvesting, great thing about these and other broccoli is when the heads are cut, they throw up other heads. Plants are one of the most amazing species on the planet, there DNA is more complicated than ours, they can trick us into thinking chilies are hot, produce toxins from their limited environment, even alter their growing pH though only minutely.
I think vegans should take note plants don't want to die either.

Started planting my tomatoes today, one dozen Tommy Toe, a bit of extra space so 3 Money makers went in behind. Cauliflower coming out of polytunnel seem to have settled down first one started going to seed before I spotted it.
View attachment 20986 View attachment 20987 View attachment 20988
Romanesco Broccoli out side ready for harvesting, great thing about these and other broccoli is when the heads are cut, they throw up other heads. Plants are one of the most amazing species on the planet, there DNA is more complicated than ours, they can trick us into thinking chilies are hot, produce toxins from their limited environment, even alter their growing pH though only minutely.
I think vegans should take note plants don't want to die either.

All of my brassicas this year got decimated by an unexpected late hoard of cabbage whites. There were eaten top to toe within a day.

Back