Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen quite a few cabbage whites, I have no doubt eggs have been laid, I just wait to see some damage and start picking them off. My polytunnels are actually 'insect exclusion mesh' but aphids get in. I think they have taken up residence in them, they are a bigger pain in the polytunnel than out and really hard to knock them off.

IMG_20191010_161300.jpg
A few more bits...the black tomatoes are self seeded from last year...

Various reasons...
Too cold,too much water,kept in the fridge after picking.
Too little water can rot them. Blossom end rot at the bottom of the fruit is calcium deficiency...add some milk to your water.

We grew some purple toms this year, luckily only a few plants because they were horrible. Tasteless, mushy and impossible to tell when they were ripe. All our other toms were up to the usual standard. ie. unlike anything you've ever bought from Tescos. Actually we've virtually stopped buying toms and just eat them when they're in season from the polytunnel (plus those we've cooked and frozen the rest of the year.

In my hydro polytunnel I have Cherokee Purple and Money Maker, I have grown two different varieties before and was concerned about cross pollination but it hasn't happened yet.
003.JPG
The bottom row I am leaving for lettuce, spring onions, sprouts and baby carrots.
The green house has Black Cherry tomatoes.
004.JPG

In my hydro polytunnel I have Cherokee Purple and Money Maker, I have grown two different varieties before and was concerned about cross pollination but it hasn't happened yet.
View attachment 21045 The bottom row I am leaving for lettuce, spring onions, sprouts and baby carrots.
The green house has Black Cherry tomatoes.
View attachment 21046
Whereabouts is the world are you?

I don't rate black cherry - I grow the best two tomatoes ever - Gardeners Delight and Sungold.

IMG_20191024_204712.jpg
Got in from work and decided to knock up some chutneys with yesterday's harvest....a sweet one on the left and subbed out the apple and sultanas on the right with aubergine, peppers and a load of hot chillies for the other....with added spices,garlic and ginger

Are you an ex-pat Brit, or an Aussie who got a taste for bitter during your compulsory year pulling pints in London?
You don't have to be a 'To and from' to like English beers, take Garret Oliver he was never interested in beer at all until he went to the UK and had a pint from the hand pump. I worked in USA and plenty of Americans have a taste for English beer. Worked in Indonesia and one of the favourite beers was Guinness, mind you that was mainly women.

I don't rate black cherry - I grow the best two tomatoes ever - Gardeners Delight and Sungold.
Settle down sport, I haven't got all mine in yet, I have Honey Bee which taste more like sweet plums when picked off the vine, and Giant Russian cucumber the seeds which I got direct from Chernobyl.;)

I once worked with an American in London. When we went to the pub, he would ask for 2 pints of guinness, one of which he placed in the hearth of the roaring fire to warm it up.............

Latest posts

Back