Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My garlic isn't anywhere near unearthing yet, been earthing up my leeks though I have destroyed a couple when I fell into my leek bed. I keep my beers far away from the house in winter in a specially designed shed, I try to keep to a daily quota of beers but sometimes sneak out with a torch to retrieve more hence the semi destruction of my leeks. Green feast peas doing well along with swede, snow peas not so good, bought more snow peas of the climbing variety.
Been chitting my spuds tried a trick I saw on you tube, burying the spuds in coir, buried mine in potting mix and sure enough it worked chit far quicker than in the light. Dutch Creams and kipfler are the spuds for this year. I do love King Edwards but don't get the return, my experimental spuds are going well even though we have had a couple of frosts, I do have fleece over them, but despite all the rain we have had when I reached under the haulms they are still quite small.

Last year I dried and hung my garlic in the garage and it's not been too bad...ive a few left but I think they're done..I'm toying with the idea this year of peeling, blitzing and freezing the lot in 1 1/2 TSP,ice cube tray.
and bagging.
If you have managed to keep garlic for nearly 12 months you are doing really well, if my experience is anything to go by. Best I seem to manage is to Feb and thereafter they are mostly rotten. However this year I spent time cleaning up the bulbs removing any soil and loose outer covering, so they look more like shop bought garlic, before hanging them up to dry.

We’ve been farming catapillers this year... we pulled around 200 off our broccoli. But it (the broccoli not the catapillers) is lovely! We’ve also got garlic that’s just come out and tasted amazing!!

I’d like to take credit, but I can only grow hair. My wife has done an amazing job in our little garden.

I've got wasabi rocket flowering at the moment it is certainly on the hot side.
Mizuna red streaks mustard is a great little cropper for salads. Goes well with Lolla Bionda lettuce which is very frilly and lime green - ideal in burgers. I think it is my favourite.

I've got wasabi rocket flowering at the moment it is certainly on the hot side.
Mizuna red streaks mustard is a great little cropper for salads. Goes well with Lolla Bionda lettuce which is very frilly and lime green - ideal in burgers. I think it is my favourite.
Love the Wasabi rocket, would love to try genuine Wasabi in my hydroponic set up but they take a couple of years to mature.
I am nearly there for harvesting some swede, memo, next time I plant Green Feast peas I will make a higher frame.. Almost time to start my tomato seeds etc will take my mind off the extra 6 weeks lock down we have copped in Victoria. At least I can go fishing, but the fishing comps have been cancelled.:(
005.JPG
006.JPG

Can't believe I am still taking cabbage white butterfly caterpillars off my Cauli, a couple of mild frosts and an average of about 14 C and they are still here.

My experiment growing winter spuds wasn't too shabby. Using chitted spuds which came out of our kitchen spud box, planted in 2 square meters. We had plenty of rain during autumn almost bugger all rain so far this winter with only a month to go.
Some of these will be in the pot tonight accompanied on the plate with cabbage, garden peas, calves liver and red onions sauteed in red wine.😋
003.JPG

What are you growing hydroponically? I have a floating raft on a pond and a small pumped set-up using expanded clay in a tray that runs out to two dutch buckets under it.
Lettuce does well in the raft, watercress took over it this year so that does very well, mint does well in the tray and am trying tomatoes and cucumbers in the dutch buckets this year.
Just wondering about expanding the system to grow more in expanded clay rather than floating pond.

If I had a blank canvas with my back garden now I would have gone for aquaponics, same benefits as hydroponics but with fish as an end result as well.
What I grow in hydro, just about anything you can think of. One small diaphragm pump and it serves well over 60 pots, from small to large. This time of year I have snow peas and cruciferous vegetables, summer can grow all the solanaceae family cucumbers and beans.

So has anyone been growing Kholrabi this year? I have been really pleased with how its grown and i have just put some more seedlings in because apparently it will grow all the way into Oct/Nov as a semi winter veg.

Interested in any recipes to use it?

So has anyone been growing Kholrabi this year? I have been really pleased with how its grown and i have just put some more seedlings in because apparently it will grow all the way into Oct/Nov as a semi winter veg.

Here's one used raw in a salad. Not done it as fancy (i.e. no lemon zest etc) but like the look of it!

https://cookieandkate.com/crispy-apple-kohlrabi-salad-recipe/

So has anyone been growing Kholrabi this year? ....

Hairy Bikers recipe for Pan Haggerty is one Mrs uses from their Hairy Dieters book.

We have used KR along with potato for the topping, thinly slice both potato and KR to make a layer on top instead of just potato, lovely and nutty!

IMG_20200731_195659.jpg

Not strictly polytunnel...one of Mrs Clint's projects...a citrus tree.. orange or mandarin type..bought as a dead loss from a garden centre over a year ago...we got blossoms! Smells incredible!!

Back