Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well things have moved on here a bit.
I contacted the council about allotment availability around here and they responded with - If you can provide 6 names of people who want one we will try and provide them.- Which was a surprise considering there is a waiting list of over 100 on all plots nearer town.
So, facebook and email set up and 300 leaflets delivered and I now have 65 people interested and gave the council 33 names & addresses to show there is interest here.
Now I am a chairperson of the committee and we are heading for Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation status to become a registered charity. After that we can then have a land transfer from the council to basically run an allotment site ourselves.
- I only wanted to grow a few spuds. ashock1

In the meantime, I am organising a tree and hedge planting session in my community with help from the greenspace officer from the council, and am getting all the trees free from the Woodland trust.
- So there will be a lot of apple trees and elderberry bushes around here soon. - more wine and cider opportunities! wink... All part of their 'Food growing Strategy' and in the new Community empowerment legislation.

That's brilliant!! See if you can get s lottery grant once you're up and running...get a communal shop going in a shipping container..seed potatoes, onions,seeds,netting etc.
Well that is the plan anyway, but there are so many directions it can go in. I would like it to be more of a community thing, room for summer BBQ's or a fire pit for evening relaxing. As we will be a drop point for tree surgeons for woodchip there won't be a shortage of wood to burn.
Funding is unbelievable. There is another local site just set up about 7 years ago, wanted 77k to do the groundworks and set it up - they got it no problem and said they should have asked for more!

On our allotment the council bring regular drops of compost and wood chips from the recycling....and remove any waste we can't recycle. We also have mains fed watering troughs.

On our allotment the council bring regular drops of compost and wood chips from the recycling....and remove any waste we can't recycle. We also have mains fed watering troughs.

That's a dream. We've got no running water and the guy running it has taken all the responsibility for removing rubbish as the council don't seem interested. Luckily plenty of rain and some guttering has kept me going this year.

Harvested my grapes and made wine from them
VpQ52eT.jpg

final green toms made into chutney
gYSc36f.jpg

r5iPeJb.jpg

chillies still producing, here are some alleppos
wP287Cf.jpg

After quite a successful year, all I am left with now is beet spinach (which I can recommend as it can be eaten as a salad veg whilst the leaves are small or cooked when the leaves are bigger plus it overwinters well), massive beetroot (they can overwinter too) and leeks which are just coming into,their own. Many of our leeks end up in Leek and Bacon Rissotto which I can't get enough of. I will post the recipe if anyone is interested.
Finally now's the time to be getting overwintering Broad Beans in the ground. I will germinate mine in pots first then plant out. The variety to aim for is Aquadulce Claudia.

Yes I got a pile of spinach beet there,some chard...same huge beetroot...my leeks are a bit battered having been stood on by the rsole that was getting on my plot..
Me and Mrs Clint were only talking broad beans yesterday!

Every gardener can tell if something has been disturbed or moved in their plot.
My wife planted a rose in a thirty litre pot, I did ask her, after noticing that one of my bed of spuds had been disturbed if she took the soil from one of the said beds.
Definitely not was the reply, being of the believer of happy wife happy life took it no further.
008.JPG

Three weeks on my tomatoes in the tunnel get their first trim.
003.JPG

Egg Plants are in.
006.JPG

Cayenne Peppers are in
005.JPG

Beef Steak hydro tomatoes going well have been adding liquid silica to the nutrients this year see if it makes muck difference.
002.JPG

Three weeks on my tomatoes in the tunnel get their first trim.
View attachment 35091
Egg Plants are in.
View attachment 35092
Cayenne Peppers are in
View attachment 35093
Beef Steak hydro tomatoes going well have been adding liquid silica to the nutrients this year see if it makes muck difference.
View attachment 35094
Doing well there fella! We're putting the tunnel into a light nap for the winter...growing spring onions, coriander,lettuce,peas and a few greens...

Finally got my corn in all the beetroot got pickled bar a bunch which went to the old Greek widow across the road. I used to get Greek biscuits and cake in return but she is 98 now so can't expect her to be baking anymore.
009.JPG
010.JPG

The Gardeners Delight are winning the race to the top of the frame, Sun Gold coming second.

Spotted a Huntsman with his guts sucked out of him/her. Wondering what may have done it?
They don't make a web they rely on their speed, capture and kill method. The largest one I have seen, I got alerted to by its footsteps when running up the fence!
006.JPG

Just out of curiosity where does everyone get there seeds from? Only started up my allotment last year but it's coming along to how I would like it to be now and I want to have a good go next year. Currently got Leeks in the ground waiting for spring for them to fatten up, a few Swedes and some Kale.
Next year looking to do onions, carrots and lots of runner beans and French beans.

Just out of curiosity where does everyone get there seeds from? Only started up my allotment last year but it's coming along to how I would like it to be now and I want to have a good go next year. Currently got Leeks in the ground waiting for spring for them to fatten up, a few Swedes and some Kale.
Next year looking to do onions, carrots and lots of runner beans and French beans.
Our allotments get a kings seed catalogue. Secretary collates the orders and places one bulk order, which attracts a reasonable saving.

Latest posts

Back