Porridge oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean a beer made from oats only? Or are you asking if oats can be used as an adjunct?

My last beer had about 5% porridge oats in my last beer http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63894. It's a pale ale/session IPA and I wanted the oats to add more body and mouthfeel to what could otherwise be a fairly thin beer. I just tasted the beer and I think it's my best yet:grin:.

I boil up the oats for a couple of minutes with a proportion of the strike water and let it cool to mash temp before adding it to the mash. I'm not sure if this is strictly necessary with porridge oats but I don't think it can do any harm. The oats are very sticky (it's basically a big pan of porridge) which doesn't cause problems with my BIAB setup but I imagine might be an issue with a traditional mash tun.

Steve. Making a brew with only porridge oats or by using porridge oats along with others grains. I seen a blog that someone said he used porridge oats as they were mega cheap.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Simon thanks for the feedback great stuff

Steve. Making a brew with only porridge oats or by using porridge oats along with others grains. I seen a blog that someone said he used porridge oats as they were mega cheap.

I don't think you could do a 100% porridge oats beer, though I have heard of 100% oat malt beer. Porridge oats don't have the diastatic power for conversion but apparently some malted oats do.
If used in small amounts as an adjunct as Simon says porridge oats add a silky smoothness and mouthfeel. There's no need to boil them because they are pre gelatinised, but they do benefit from a glucan rest. Also they add a nice subtle nutty flavour if toasted first.

if the oats were soaked in flavoured water would it come out in the brew ?

It probably depends what the flavour was and how strongly flavoured. Whatever flavour would have to get through the mash, boil and fermentation so if you wanted it to show up in your finished beer it would have to be a pretty robust flavour.

Added a bag of porridge oats to our triple IPA. Consensus on searching forums has presented this as a viable option - it's just oats.

It probably depends what the flavour was and how strongly flavoured. Whatever flavour would have to get through the mash, boil and fermentation so if you wanted it to show up in your finished beer it would have to be a pretty robust flavour.

i wont have this problem yet as not mashing yet, but was thinking is all

Hi guys.
I'm short on pale malt. Could I add some porridge oats to bulk it up in the mash?

I've used ordinary toasted porridge oats as an adjunct (up to about 10%) in quite a few AG brews.

I toast the oats in a dry wok before use. Just stick a flame under the wok and keep stirring until the oats go brown. (Too much heat and the oats burn and stick so be warned.)

Enjoy. :thumb:

The reason you don't use a large proportion of unmalted oats to pale malt as Dutto suggested is that you need the diastase in the pale malt to convert the starch present in the oats to fermentable sugars. Just like when you use Torrified Wheat.
If the diastase can't convert all of the starch then it will just carry over and presumably you get a starch haze at best or thin beery porridge. :sick:

The reason you don't use a large proportion of unmalted oats to pale malt as Dutto suggested ..............

Sorry, but there are two ways of reading the above.

1. "As Dutto suggested, you don't use a large proportion of unmalted oats to pale malt."

or

2. "You don't use a large proportion (like 10%) of unmalted oats to pale malt, as Dutto suggested."

Here's the last recipe when I used toasted oats for a Strong Bitter in back in January of this year:

INGREDIENTS
5.50kg of Maris Otter Malt
0.25kg of Caramel Malt.
0.25kg of Crystal Malt.
0.50kg of Toasted Rolled Oats
75g EKG
Wilco Ale Yeast

The toasted oats made up 8.3% of the grain bill and the finished article looked like this one month after the start of the brew ...

Bitter.jpg

... and like this just now.

Bitter A.jpg

The Strong Bitter is a bit high on the ABV side at 7.88% but it cleared okay, is maturing well in the bottles and treated with respect (a litre per day maximum!) it's a great drink! :thumb: :thumb:

Most pale malts have easily enough diastatic power to convert a large percentage (50% or more) of flaked grains, I have used 20% oats in an oatmeal stout and my lambic grain bill consists of 40% flaked wheat.

Sorry, but there are two ways of reading the above.

1. "As Dutto suggested, you don't use a large proportion of unmalted oats to pale malt."

or

2. "You don't use a large proportion (like 10%) of unmalted oats to pale malt, as Dutto suggested."
Whichever it is (?), I'm agreeing with you i.e <10% :thumb:

Hi

Made a Guiness clone stout once was OK but didn't last long, went sour after about two months on after conditioning. Thought it was down to the oats and the glutenin the oats that turned it bad, however it was lovely while it last though you habe to experiment in these things 😉

Love porridge oats!

Grain bill for the last beer I did (wheat session IPA) was as follows -

2kg wheat malt
2kg extra pale malt
450g porridge oats
300g carapils

Porridge oats add a really nice smooth and silky, thick mouthfeel. I just use the cheap ones from Aldi (75p for a kg)

Latest posts

Back