Portable options for serving from a keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Scottish Brewster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
The situation is that I'd like to supply my son (student at university) with a Keg of beer rather than fiddling around with bottling. Yes this might sound very beneficent as a parent, but it limits his spending buying beer, and means he's more likely to drink decent beer rather than cheap lager/cider/vodka. To be fair I think by student standards he doesn't drink close to as much as his friends, particularly during lockdown, however, I also like doing this for him. I'll provide the keg filled, pressurised, carbonated with a party tap attached.

The problem is supplying pressure to the keg. I've a keg lid with an S30 valve on it from Gumtree, which I'd originally planned to provide him with together with an HB mini cylinder to top up the pressure. I have since found that the valve has the PRV rubber missing and I damaged a spare trying to fit it. I'm now thinking of replacing the lid and fitting an adapter to the gas-in post for a CO2 sparklet - but not sure if a sodastream adaptor and cylinder would be better. Any thoughts or views on what would be better and easier for him to use?

Anna

You can get these in the UK, not sure if it just the breweries using them, but they go for recycling when empty.
1613338448809.png

No gas needed, I use something similar with a D coupler and a picnic pump.
When I saw a video of a UK bar using them it did cross my mind if they could be re used by a home brewer.

You can be my other mam if you want. I'm 52 but that doesn't really matter...
Oh @Clint my boy, you are just a teeny few years older than me which sort of makes adoption a tad difficult... that and three already is more than a handful enough 😂.

@foxy I've no idea what that is, but I generally like shiny things, sadly predictable I know.

On balance and facing the reality and complexities of a sodastream regulator which I worry is too much complexity for a student, I think I'm going to go for one of these, and supply the keg a bit over carbonated, with the idea that one bulb will provide serving pressure for the keg:
https://www.home-brew-hopshop.co.uk...us-keg-pin-valve-adapter-with-disconnect.html
Anna

You can get a similar cornelius keg adapter that uses an S30 HB bottle to top up. I got mine from Lovebrewing but currently they are showing as out of stock

@spigley Smart find but it is a bit expensive

A mini sodastream regulator like this may be where I end up with this for him but at the moment that's a bit ouch on the cost.

I've found this inlet only S30 valves and that I can get S30 refills after all S30 Inlet only valve for cornie kegs

Since I have a keg lid that's already drilled for an S30 valve, has a prv on the lid, and looking at the lowest cost approach, I think this would be the best option for him - no regulator, nothing to turn off/on and enough gas for more than one keg. This gives me a good excuse for some more brews, and I can aim for some simpler ones rather than the temperature controlled pressurised ones as well 😃.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Anna

Latest posts

Back