Porter - Coffee Addition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbo_sd

Reaction score
Hi All
Currently brewing a clone of Elusive Spellbinder Coffee Porter. Recipe asks for a bio dynamic washed coffee bean!!! Pretty sure that’s not available in Asda..
Anyone got a go to coffee bean which they add to porters/stouts ?
Thanks in advance , I’ll post up how the brew turns out.

I've added a cafeteria of coffee at bottling before.
Turned out nice but not amazing.
Keep meaning to grab a couple of Costa Americanos to drop in. They always taste stronger than my brews.

Lash a bottle of Camp into it...
Screenshot_20210127_152222_com.android.chrome.jpg

I’ve made three different brews with great success adding 125g (in 23l) of ground coffee (for cafeteria’s) in a mesh bag, for 3-5 days after fermentation (to taste). I use a Aldi Columbian blend usually.
07246DA2-6D9C-4047-9F1F-5C122A7E48A0.png

Thanks , that’s reassuring to know as I was going to use something very similar to that . Cheers
I read loads before I committed to how I added the coffee. But really your extracting oils like dry hopping so I went with that. Pretty sure you can get results using extract, liquids, etc... but bunging something in a bag and leaving it to steep , same process that happens before the other options, just happens in your FV.

I’ve tried adding dry whole beans and dry ground beans to finished beer - like dry hopping. My logic being that beer would extract both water-soluble and ethanol soluble flavour compounds. Unsurprisingly, the crushed beens had a stronger flavour for a given rate of addition. I thought the coffee additions improved the beer (a 4.8% abv porter) albeit subtly. I found the whole beans had a “rounder” taste which I preferred. I used 4g/litre, loose in the keg for 48 hours then transferred the beer to another keg. I would increase the rate next time to see the impact.

Recipe asks for a bio dynamic washed coffee bean!!!
Biodynamic is a growing method, think organic but with some witchy mysticism, and washing is one of the ways that the coffee seed can be separated from the flesh of the cherry.
I think basically what they are saying is use high quality specialty coffee.
Many coffee roasters are struggling at the minute with the way the world is so have a look and see if you can get a bag from your local, it probably won't be a huge amount more expensive than supermarket coffee but will taste a whole lot better!

Thanks all for your input.
Opted for a fair trade Columbian bean from Sainsbury’s in the end. Had some other coffee beans (cheaper) in the cupboard so made a cuppa from each the Sainsbury’s was much smoother from start to finish with the other having a bitter end...
Anyways threw 100g in a sanitised cheese cloth into the fv for two days then cold crashed for 2 days.
Kegged it just now and the taster from the bucket was rather promising. Now the question is how long can I wait before pulling a pint !!!
Cheers

Attachments

• 483E87A4-0D9E-4FF1-A296-FCD3B1A376D8.jpeg
    483E87A4-0D9E-4FF1-A296-FCD3B1A376D8.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 71
I use 100g of Lavazza ground coffee for a 20 minute coffee stand in my stout at flameout. It works well in a 20/25 L batch waiting to be transferred into my fermenter :beer1:

Latest posts

Back