Porter pellicle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
So several weeks ago I made a Brown porter, first ever attempt at this style, brew day went great and it hit its SG and FG fine..I however had left and left and left it. Father passed away suddenly so it was at the back of my mind.. Now anyway I finally came to bottle it an noticed a pellicle thing forming on, not sure what or how but it may have been me checking it weeks ago and was a bit careless who knows it seemed to ferment out fine.. the whiff from the top was a little nail varnish which wasn't good..

However I drew from the tap below and the beer smelt and tasted really good and crystal clear so I decided to bottle it from there (not batch prime this time) with a little sugar only in each bottle..

Was going to let it carb for a week and then stick it in the fridge to help preserve it..

Am I doing the right thing? should I try and get through it quick? I avoided bottling so much and left a but behind to avoid the top part getting bottled.. the last 5 or so bottles are marked up so they will be first..

fermentor being given the deep VWP treatment

Not really sure what happened.. only time I had something like this was a stuck beer I had last summer which turned out okay.

Hard to say without knowing what it is. With a bit of luck its an obligate aerophile, so won't be able to reproduce and develop in the bottle once the O2 in the beer is consumed (hopefully by the yeast before the contaminant gets to it). If you are unlucky it will be anaerobic and consume the sugars that weren't eaten up by the yeast. Personally, I would try and get through it quickly but keep some bottles aside to see how it develops. If it does develop then in all probability it will be nasty, but there is an off chance of it going sour or bretty in a good way.

Back