Porter With Coffee

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghillie

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not a dark beer fan, but going to brew one next week because I haven't before...

I like coffee, so going to throw some in. 30g instant mixed with boiling water to dissolve. Question is, when to add?

-Boil
-At flameout
-Into the fermenter when decanting to FV
-Like a dry hop post fermentation

Cheers gents.

Never done it, but for me I would treat it like a batch prime or a hop tea and add it after fermentation.

My reasoning is that adding it before fermentation is completed it may do something to the brew, apart from adding a coffee flavour.

When I make coffee beers, I use a couple of methods.

The first is using 1 lb of coffee malt. For myself, it gives a smooth coffee taste without any harsh or mouth cutting effects. Usually this would be in a lower abv beer, say 5-6 abv.

If making a big beer like a maple coffe imperial stout, I'll roughly crush 1-3 heaping tablespoons of a strong specialty coffee and toss it into the secondary for a week. The coffee notes will be strong and mix well with the dark malts and maple flavors.

Hope this helps.

What would happen if you chucked beans in? either during the mash or in the FV like you would a dry hop.

I imagine that it would take much too long for a whole bean to release the available flavour; which is why I would do it like a Hop Tea.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, would that simply be making a black coffee and chucking it in?

There is some hype about cold infused coffee (mainly from the states), and I can agree that using water too hot on ground coffee tends to bring out bitterness, so you may want the cold steeping rather than a hot brew, but there again you way want the bitterness anyway.
I would probably use the dregs from my morning cafetiere instead. Kind of second runnings. :laugh8:

What would happen if you chucked beans in? either during the mash or in the FV like you would a dry hop.
I made a coffee porter last year with whole coffee beans added to the fermenter for about a week after fermentation finished. It certainly gave a strong coffee flavour, not harsh but quite overpowering of other flavours. I haven't got my notes in front of me but I think I used 100g in a 15ltr batch. I would certainly use less/give it less time if I did it again.

Beans into the FV is how the pros do it. Check out the link in my earlier post, containing info from a coffee roaster who works with a number of breweries.

Beans into the FV is how the pros do it. Check out the link in my earlier post, containing info from a coffee roaster who works with a number of breweries.
Beans it is then! Just realised from the post and your profile you're from Macc, I'm a Buxton lad!! acheers.

Re Terrym:> A couple of years ago I was given a high pressure expresso coffee machine as a christmas present, I have never tasted coffee like it.Now I go through around 3 off 227grm bags of Italian dark roast coffee a week.

I now cannot stand to drink even the "premium brands" of instant coffee anymore.

Coffee?

At an Offshore Medical the nurse said "I can't get a steady pulse." and the doctor said "Have you got a few minutes for an ECG?" Did I have "a few minutes"? I had as many days as it would take!

About an hour later the doctor said "Good news." I nodded with relief, "Your heart isn't missing a beat as the nurse thought, it's actually beating twice, but they are so close together that it feels like a single beat." I wondered how this could be "Good news." when he went on with "Do you drink much coffee?"

For two weeks prior to the medical I had been sitting at a desk alongside a Cona Coffee Maker and had been drinking about a mug full every hour. I confessed my sins! "That'll do it." said the doctor, "It's not dangerous, but I recommend that you cut down a bit."

I reduced my coffee intake, got a steady heartbeat and have decided that (despite the temptation) I won't be brewing beer with a coffee addition!

Back